Bulk Hops for IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichH

Reaction score
So I was thinking about buying some hops in bulk and foodsaver them into manageable amounts to save some $$$.

My plan was to foodsaver vacuum pack them and store in the freezer. Good idea?

If you were to buy four or five different types of hops to keep in bulk for IPA recipes, what would you recommend? Any online hops vendors to recommend?

If I'm buying pounds at a time, I usually go with Label Peelers. Crazy selection, and prices. I went with Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe. Next time, I'm getting some Centennial, and maybe Cascade. Columbus, IMO, is a great dual purpose hop, If you get a good batch.

In addition, I have also heard good things about Hops Direct.

My plan was to foodsaver vacuum pack them and store in the freezer. Good idea?

The BEST idea...

Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Citra, Amarillo

Label peelers has a pre-sale
From Grain To Glass
RiteBrew

Last time I looked Farmhouse had some really good deals on 2013 crop....... Label Peelers too!

Yakima Valley Hops (yakimavalleyhops.com) skip the food saver an just use their mylar bags with built in ziplock style closure.

They have the best prices anywhere and shipping is very reasonable.

Big fan of Yakima Valley Hops. I just bought a food saver that will arrive today. I trust that a little more than the mylar ziplock bags for long term storage.

At first I was buying all kinds of funky hops. As I grew into the hobby, I have narrowed down some hops that I like a lot such as Northern Brewer, Fuggle or Willamette (either or), and Mosaic, Cascade.

Another vote for Yakima Valley- great customer service and prices- excellent quality

I have about 12 lbs of hops in my freezer right now.Once opened, I use a vacuum sealer to keep them in the freezer. I make 75% IPA's so many of my 6 gallon brews have 12 oz (or more) of hops in them. I like em hoppy!

I know I save money buying in bulk and usually keep Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Cascades, Centennial and Chinook on hand. I have others in smaller amounts and any time I make a beer that has hops I don't stock, I just get a small amount locall.
I've had hops in vacuum sealed bags for 10 months and have had no problems but sometimes I add a bit more when they get old. If not stored well, they can go bad in a short while.

Back