Bulk grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamAshBrewing

Reaction score
I bought a bag of 2-row on sale around 6 months ago. Due to winter, life, and finishing up a bag of Maris Otter, it has remained unopened and the bag was on my basement floor the whole time.
I am getting ready to brew 4 batches and wondering if the grains still good?

They are fine if stored in a dry place. I've used grain stored for two years in a dry place and all was well.

If your grain doesn't smell musty, damp or mouldy, you are good to go. Some of my 25kg sacks have spent over a year in the basement during the time it took me to empty them. I keep them on a shelf to minimize moisture from the concrete floor. I don't know if that actually makes a difference but it makes me feel better.

I'd probably brew with musty grain anyway just to see what happens.

Likely fine. Next time I would keep your grain off a concrete floor on grade. This could have more moisture than is apparent. Concrete can pass a lot of moisture from the ground below.

fwiw, after munching a good pinch I used a 2 year old full bag of Pearl malt on a 25 gallon batch of ESB. Came out great.

I have no real idea how old base grain is when I buy it.
If I buy a bag in June it's likely at least a year old and was sitting in a silo somewhere for months.

And faghettabout specialty grains. WTF knows when that stuff was manufactured and how long it took to find its way through the supply chain to my lhbs.

I rely on the husks doing their thing to preserve what's inside :)

Cheers!

5 gallon buckets and gamma seal lids.

This is what I use. My lbhs sells used 5 gallon buckets that originally held wine making juice for next to nothing. They're perfect! Two buckets hold exactly one 55lb bag of grain. Plus they're stackable, so you can store a lot of grain in a relatively small area.

Thanks all. My intent was to use either buckets or air tight storage containers, but I got lazy.
I did pickup some used frosting buckets from Target, but even after cleaning and PBW soak, they still smell like vanilla.

Latest posts

Back