Brewstand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chimone said:
Whats the height of that thing?

64 inches. With the HLT, the top reaches approximately 87", still shorter than the B3 gravity systems. When I proposed the design, I got a lot of flak for the height. As soon as I said that about the B3 systems, everyone shut up quick about the "dangerous height".

Looks great, dude. I was just thinking, it would be handy to weld on a water pipe running up to the HLT with a valve and garden hose connector so you could connect up the hose at a lower point for filling and/or cooling the HLT, maybe even put a water filter inline. Keep up the good work!

Pabst Blue Robot said:
Looks great, dude. I was just thinking, it would be handy to weld on a water pipe running up to the HLT with a valve and garden hose connector so you could connect up the hose at a lower point for filling and/or cooling the HLT, maybe even put a water filter inline. Keep up the good work!

It pretty much already does that. I have a water filter on one of the lower shelves, and a quick disconnect on that for the garden hose. Then I have a short portion of RV hose on the other end of the filter with a "hook" that just hangs over the lip of the HLT. It works great.

Re: the hose and filter thing. Hose water always tastes like well; hose. So do you and others with a filter setup just use garden hose into the filter and then something more food-grade out of the filter? I saw Brewbiz' setup and he had PVC going to the HLT out of the filter but I'm thinking I'd prefer some flex action. Dude, RV hose is water lines for an RV or am I off on the acronym there. Home-D available?

:off:

To chime in on the hosewater thing, I'm using a Goodyear high temp rubber hose (the red one) from Home Depot and it doesn't taint the water like a lot of garden hoses, in fact I can't tell the difference between that and the tap as long as I run it for a minute before filling the HLT. Honestly though, I brewed an IPA using my old garden hose to fill the kettle and it's one of the best beers I've ever made, couldn't taste hose at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the stand looks great. What size square tube did you use? Are there any parts that you think could benefit from beefing up the size?

Dude said:
Guys..I put a first coat of a darker blue on it today, just for kicks. It looks much better. Tomorrow I will finish it up and put the gas lines back on and the temp. shelf so you can see what it looks like in all its glory. The darker blue looks MUCH better, IMHO. :)

If I was you I would paint that guy red. That way you are no where near karolina blue or dukie blue.

Its a good looking stand.

cj8scrambler said:
Wow, the stand looks great. What size square tube did you use? Are there any parts that you think could benefit from beefing up the size?

1 inch squre tubing--and no way would I use anything thicker. It is VERY solid. It is almost too heavy to be considered "portable". The poor little caster wheels are really stressed by the weight.

Dude said:
1 inch squre tubing--and no way would I use anything thicker. It is VERY solid. It is almost too heavy to be considered "portable". The poor little caster wheels are really stressed by the weight.

Probably a couple hundred pounds of steel there I'd estimate. Plenty of safety factor I'd say.

Are the shelves plywood and the side panels sheet metal or aluminum? Do you have a shear?

vmpolesov said:
Probably a couple hundred pounds of steel there I'd estimate. Plenty of safety factor I'd say.

Are the shelves plywood and the side panels sheet metal or aluminum? Do you have a shear?

Shelves and panels are both sheet metal. I have an angle grinder. By far the best tool in my inventory. ;) It cuts anything, and it is fun as hell.

Back