Brewing with coffee, techniques.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I've brewed a fair bit with coffee and failed to learn the best method. Adding beans to kegs works great, but the length of time they remain in the beer is highly variable. Brewing coffee either hot or cold and adding it when packaging works, but doesn't scale very well. Adding beans to secondary or primary works, but the contact time is either long, or you need to use more and they are a bit of an infection risk. Never tried adding them at knock out or putting them in the hop back, though I can imagine that works pretty well.

So what would you do/what have you done? What worked really well? What didn't work so well? What sort of quantities have you tried? Last coffee beer I made used 60g of fresh press in 19L and 90g in 19L. Coffee flavour was noticeable at 60g, not much better at 90g, but faded/got lost in the beer after 2 weeks. Racking beer straight onto beans I've used 100g, 150g, 220g and 440g, all were great, but it is on the beans until it is kicked.

I'd like to work out a process of either adding them to the kettle at knock out, putting them in the hop back during transfer, or adding them to primary with a contact time of no more than 4-5 days if possible.

I cold brew in a refrigerated french press for 24 hr, then add at packaging. Great coffee flavor without the bitterness that heat imparts to coffee!

Back