Brewing using juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegades_Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am looking to brew a lambic of some sort this fall. I haven't decided on what exactly to brew yet. However I am wondering if anyone has used a fruit juice base for the "water" of their sour? I will most likely be getting enough pears from a co-worker for between 10-12 gallons worth of juice from her tree. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what the results were.

Sent from a happy little yeastie.

I would be wary of boiling the juice. It can get a cooked flavor that isn't pleasant after fermentation (or before, really). I started out making cider and had good success with a low temp pasteurization (150 for 30 mins), but boiling was bad. What if you added the juice in a smaller amount after boiling the wort as a top up or a sugar feeding kind of thing? Or you could use it to bottle condition, like Logsdon Farms does. Or make delicious sour pear cider with those microbes. You could always dry hop it.

I have been leaning towards just a natural ferment style pear cider since posting. I was just curious if anyone had used a fruit juice in place of water.

Sent from a happy little yeastie.

Back