Brewing a GF Pale Ale - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPutz

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to these forums, so please bear with me. I have a fair many extract brews under my belt, and a friend has asked me to do a GF brew for his wife.

With just rooting around the recipes here, and elsewhere, I have come up with something I like (numbers from Beer Smith). This is for 3 gallons.

3lbs Briess White Sorghum Syrup
2lbs Briess Brown Rice Syrup
1.5lbs GF Organic Amaranth (will be roasted and steeped)
1lbs GF Organic Buckwheat (will be roasted and steeped)
1lb Clear Candi Sugar

1.5oz Cascade (5AA) for 60m
1oz Cascade (5AA) for 5m
1.5oz Cascade (5AA) Dry Hop

Safale US-05

I'd love your thoughts.:mug:

I'm relatively new to these forums, so please bear with me. I have a fair many extract brews under my belt, and a friend has asked me to do a GF brew for his wife.

With just rooting around the recipes here, and elsewhere, I have come up with something I like (numbers from Beer Smith). This is for 3 gallons.

3lbs Briess White Sorghum Syrup
2lbs Briess Brown Rice Syrup
1.5lbs GF Organic Amaranth (will be roasted and steeped)
1lbs GF Organic Buckwheat (will be roasted and steeped)
1lb Clear Candi Sugar

1.5oz Cascade (5AA) for 60m
1oz Cascade (5AA) for 5m

Safale US-05

I'd love your thoughts.:mug:

You mean a 3 gallon boil but a 5 gallon batch right? If you are looking at a 3 gallon batch, the sorghum, rice and candi sugar come out to 1.071 OG by my calculations, which seems high for a pale ale.

I did a gluten free over the holidays for visiting relatives, wasn't sure about the outcome when you consider that I was told that all the commercially available stuff tasted like Bud Lite. The recipe I used was much like you have posted. The reviews were great, they loved the beer - hell, even I liked it. Was told I need to mass produce.

I think your friends will enjoy.

Well like Dork mentioned, its gonna be powerful, which might be what you are going for.

Other than that, I would move the 5min addition to 15min. Something like this:

1oz Cascade (5AA) for 60m
1.5oz Cascade (5AA) for 15m

Although the 1.5oz at 60min might be warranted if you really want to make this thing an 8%er.

Back