taking a shot at a GF extract Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewGF

Reaction score
After scouring the internet, it does not appear to me that anyone has successfully made a true GF stout from extract. If they have, i have not found it so if you are aware or have made one, please share! I know all about IG Jones no-nonsense, i brewed it, I didn't really care for it and the one I brewed was a Belgian strong ale and didn't have the character of a stout. It was the only beer I ever brewed that I wasn't super happy about.

After purchasing some grains from jguthner on this forum (shout out!), my plan is to cold steep a pound of dark roast millet malt for 24 hours in 2 quarts of water. I will then add it to the boil in the recipe below. I am not sure if that will do the trick but it should be a step in the right direction. I may also back off on the candi syrup as i don't want to overdo it with the sweetness, but I am thinking 40 ibu's might be enough to offset that. I welcome any feedback and/or suggestions, previous successes or failures with lessons on what not to do. Thank you.

GF stout ex
Method: Extract
Style: American Stout
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.053 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Original Gravity:1.056
Final Gravity:1.015
ABV (standard):5.38%
IBU (tinseth):39.41
SRM (morey):34.82

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 lb White Sorghum Syrup - Gluten Free 37 1.5 60.6%
16 oz Belgian Candi Syrup - D-180 32 180 12.1%
10 oz Turbinado 44 10 7.6%
10 oz Maltodextrin 39 0 7.6%
7.25 lb Total

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1 lb American - Dark Roasted Millet Malt - Gluten Free 25 300 12.1%

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.7 oz Nugget Leaf/Whole 14 Boil 30 min 25.24
1 oz Cascade Pellet 4.7 Boil 20 min 10.49
1 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 5 Boil 5 min 3.67

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Notes millet cold steeped for 24 hours in 2 quarters of water
yeast nutrient

I will weigh in even though I am not a stout guy!
From what I have seen, you want to be north of 1.060 for a stout. You might consider more fermentables.
10 oz of maltodextrin sounds like a good choice.
I think you are better off getting your roasted character from dark roasted rice.
My guess is that what you did not care for in the no nonsense stout was a lot of heavy dark candy syrup. I had the same reaction when I used a lot of the darker candy syrup.

I also found that E K Goldings didn't pair well with sorghum.

What is Terminado?

Give it a go! We need more people perfecting the darker and maltier side of the spectrum. Difficult challenge! Go for it and post your results!

Last edited:
Turbinado is just raw cane sugar that has a bit of the molasses flavor in tact.

Sorry, I don't have anything to offer to your recipe. I also did not like the No Nonsense Stout at all. I recently brewed an all grain Porter, and will be doing another on Monday. So, hopefully I'll be of more help in the future. I love stouts & porters!

Brewed this yesterday with some small tweaks. I will post results in several weeks.

Hanging out to read the result. I dark-roasted some grains for stouts but haven't figured out a good way to get the flavour out yet. Cold steeping is something I haven't tried.

From what I have seen, you want to be north of 1.060 for a stout. You might consider more fermentables.
10 oz of maltodextrin sounds like a good choice.
I think you are better off getting your roasted character from dark roasted rice.
My guess is that what you did not care for in the no nonsense stout was a lot of heavy dark candy syrup. I had the same reaction when I used a lot of the darker candy syrup.

I also found that E K Goldings didn't pair well with

Thank you for your feedback. Some of the recipe is just a function of ingredients i have on hand. I meant to ask earlier, why og above 1.06 ?

My experience with sorghum extract base even on pale ales is that it was thin below 1.060 and I used 8 oz maltodextrin. Just a matter of preference really, but I think most barley malt based pale ales are lower. Point is I think the gravity has to be a little higher with sorghum or rice extracts to get similar results to comparable barley brew. The barley malt recipes that I have seen put pale ales at an og of 1.050 +/-0.005, ambers are a little higher, browns higher than that, and by the time you get to stouts the og is... well stout. I think with all the roasted grain character, it just needs to be thick and meaty. It also takes some time for the coffee and chocolate character to settle in. I hear that stout can taste downright terrible until they have several months to condition.

See how this one turns out. I am sure it will be great and if it misses the mark on the style, do another one. I have thoroughly enjoyed drinking some of my mistakes! :)

I bottled this on Saturday and was not impressed with my tasting at that time. However, every time I have made a darker brew and steeped toasted grains into it, the character has changed dramatically after bottle conditioning, so stay tuned...

I’ve tried with roasted buckwheat groats that I malted. And with strait up black strap molasses. Enjoyed them both but nothing like a real stout. I’ve found I can use barley if i add clarityferm to the fermenter when I pitch the yeast

I just made a gluten free stout. Although I do all grain, you can convert most recipes to mini-mash if you have a large brewpot. And you can use your choice of grains. I added a vial of Clarity Ferm with the last 15 minutes of the boil. My recipe is on BREWGR. The name is Morning Wood, a bourbon barrel stout. My friend who has gluten issues drank two 22 oz. bottles with no problem, except that he couldn't drive. I don't know conversion rates for two row to Pale DME, but lots of brewers could help you. Clarity Ferm is a beer clarifier, and reduces gluten 99.9% in the process. Cheers, Brewdog333

Interesting brewdog. I’ve used clarity fern a lot and it does work for me. (I’ve tested inconclusive for celiac). Everything I’ve read though, and used it is pitchined it with the yeast. It’s an enzyme that I would guess be denatured with high heat.

I added it once after fermentation only because i didnt have it on hand when pitching the yeast. My beer became crystal clear in 24 hours. Def do not add it to the boil.

Back