Bourboun Barrell Extract: Black Swan White Oak Honey Comb Alternative Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to make a bourbon barrel stout extract brew using a Black Swan Honey Comb alternative, white oak. I received this as a gift last Christmas and was waiting for a good time to use it, does anyone have any experience using this product, as I find the directions a bit vague and would like my first attempt at this type of brew to be successful! Also any tips/thoughts on recipe construction is welcomed!

I haven't used the white oak variety yet, but I've used some of the other varieties. Following their recommendations, I'd go with 1" per gallon. I add it to the primary after primary fermentation is done. I steam it in a steamer pot on the stove for about 15-20 minutes before adding it. This sanitizes it but it still retains its character. Because there's a lot of surface area, it tends to extract flavors very quickly. I usually start tasting samples about day 9 or 10. If it's close to where I want it, I'll taste daily until it's done.

Latest posts

Back