Bourboun Barrell Extract: Black Swan White Oak Honey Comb Alternative Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to make a bourbon barrel stout extract brew using a Black Swan Honey Comb alternative, white oak. I received this as a gift last Christmas and was waiting for a good time to use it, does anyone have any experience using this product, as I find the directions a bit vague and would like my first attempt at this type of brew to be successful! Also any tips/thoughts on recipe construction is welcomed!

No. But, ....
Barley's Homebrewing Supplies say use one inch for every gallon, up to six weeks for maximum extraction.
Then, based on my use of chips, cubes and spirals:
presoak a couple of days in your bourbon of choice
put in primary (with the bourbon) and let sit from two to six weeks depending on how much white oakiness you want.

No. But, ....
Barley's Homebrewing Supplies say use one inch for every gallon, up to six weeks for maximum extraction.
Then, based on my use of chips, cubes and spirals:
presoak a couple of days in your bourbon of choice
put in primary (with the bourbon) and let sit from two to six weeks depending on how much white oakiness you want.
DromJohn,

Thanks! How much bourbon do you think I should use? I see people recommending a wide range.

Also in any other recipes you've done like this,how long do you let it secondary? I've heard of some people leaving their batch alone for half a year or so.

DromJohn,

Thanks! How much bourbon do you think I should use? I see people recommending a wide range.

Also in any other recipes you've done like this,how long do you let it secondary? I've heard of some people leaving their batch alone for half a year or so.

I've tended to use 140ml of bourbon/rum for 4oz wood in a 5 gallon brew, but the real answer is:
in a covered container that the wood fits nicely into, use enough liquor to cover.

Those that keg in wood barrels (especially pre-used barrels) usually wish to age longer than those using the higher surface areas of chips, cubes, spirals and honeycombs. While stouts may age very nicely, there's diminishing returns to additional time. Two to six weeks in the primary, three weeks in the bottle should be enough for the first taste. Just don't drink it all at once. Taste over time. Age longer next time if your taste buds suggest.

I haven't used a secondary for any of my wood aged since I've read the anti-secondary threads. If you decide to age longer than six weeks in the primary, then I would secondary to remove the honeycomb.

Latest posts

Back