Bottoms Up from Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'd like to take the rest of the day off and drive up toward memphis and meet the fedex driver in the middle somewhere.....

Haha! Well, that is an option I guess. Then you could go ahead take tomorrow off and explore through all the kit and get to brewing!
:mug:

Yes that could be a plan but I'm positive it will be raining Friday but there is always the garage.............

My equipment and brew kit (Irsh Stout) has made it to GA. Not sure why it went to Kennesaw GA from Memphis TN to get to Moody AL.

bam i have no idea the route my equipment and kit are taking but I know at 3am it left kennesaw ga and heading I'm hoping my way.

Haha. I hope so too! It seems as though these things take a mind of their own on the shipping and directions. I wonder which map search site they used? lol

Well my equipment and beer kit finally made it to my house yesterday at 1:49 pm and I got home at 2:20pm. Seems that it passed my house not once but twice on it's travels before showing up at my door. It was sent from Kennesaw GA to Birmingham before going back to Moody.

Congrats!! Hopefully this rain will hold off enough for you to get out and brew and grill! now, question..are you brewing on a propane burner outside, or are you going to be brewing on your stove top?

I'm hoping to go with propane out side so I'm out of the SWMBO's way....I have a covered back porch and a detached garage to work from.

awesome. I'm still in the kitchen on the stove top, but eventually do plan to get a propane set up for outside.

awesome. I'm still in the kitchen on the stove top, but eventually do plan to get a propane set up for outside.

I got a Turkey Frier a few years back. I don't use it often but I plan to use that burner setup on propate tane for outside use.

yes it came with hugh tall aluminum pot that you place the turkey down in but I haven't located the bot and lid yet. It also came with a smaller pot which I'm hoping is a 20Quart size for fish and chicken frying and it has some metal mesh baskets that might be helpful to strain out beer. It has a mettal frame that the pots sit on with burner udnerneath..... It came from walmart as present to me for around 60 or 80 bucks I'll place the name of it on the site when I get home as I still have th box...

It has another pot which is shorter but wider. I'm hoping it's at least a 5gallon or 20 quart pot but not sure yet. Does anyone know where I can get a 7.5 gallon or 30 quart pot aluminum cheap incase i can't find it?

I think target may have those turkey fryer set ups. not sure if you can buy the pot separate though.

I just hope people are around on here tomorrow when I have issues and need help. I'm going to watch the DVD tonight that came with kit............

Alright I think I fumbled my way thru my first brew day/evening okay.....I had one small boil over which was completely my fault, since I was out site with a propane burner no need to even slow down to clean up....

DVD was handy that came with box............

If all goes well I'll have my Irish Stout Ready by Patti's Day.

congrats!! now is the time when you just sit back, have a cold one, and plan your next batch!

:mug:

Got the next batch kit ready to go...I'm going to do a clone of Sweetwater 420. I go it at Alabrew Saturday. Side Note: Thanks to Scott for the sample...

Bam,

If you want an Propane burner kit got to Sports Academy at Trussville...I got my pot replaced for 20 bucs they have burner kits for 20 to 30 as well.....So for 40 to 50 you can have a 7.5 gal pot and burner kit all you have to get is tank.

where in trussville is Sports Academy? I'd love to go check out there stuff.

Legality of homebrewing- yep, it’s illegal in AL, but the law isn’t enforced if you keep your head down. There is a bill going through the state Senate, SB 153, to legalize homebrewing. I encourage you and every Alabama homebrewer to contact your state Senator and urge him or her to support the bill. To find your state Senator- http://www.legislature.state.al.us/misc/zipsearch.html

QUOTE]

A couple of friends tried homebrew for the first time this past weekend, and said it was good, then asked if it was illegal. I told them that of course it was not illegal... or I wouldn't be doing it. I was being serious.

I was surfing the web for homebrew contests in AL a few minutes ago and that is when I learned that it is illegal in only three states and this is one of them.

I hope my friends don't get curious and google the homebrew laws...they may not want me around them anymore. But, I would have more beer if that happened..

Well when your a state with a church on every street corner there are bound to be some people who think they know what's best for you and influence laws like this......

Come on we got dry cities and dry counties in this state what did we expect?

This is very true jay. Also though..notice how the bill we are trying to get passed is worded. There is a section that speaks of these dry cities/counties and does say that the proposed bill is not to allow homebrewing in cities/counties that are dry. If ya don't wanna drink don't drink, but if I do wanna drink and make some beer, don't stop me from it just cause you don't like it.

This is very true jay. Also though..notice how the bill we are trying to get passed is worded. There is a section that speaks of these dry cities/counties and does say that the proposed bill is not to allow homebrewing in cities/counties that are dry. If ya don't wanna drink don't drink, but if I do wanna drink and make some beer, don't stop me from it just cause you don't like it.

I think that is also wrong. I agree wit your last statement. It would be nice if they wrote it so it said even in those dry areas it's still legal.....

I was at the B'ham Magistrates office the other day. On the wall were all the non traffic citations and fines. One of the offenses at the top of my list was riding a bicycle with no hands.

what? are ya serious? haha. I never knew that all those times as a kid riding the bike with no hands I was breaking the law.

I was at the B'ham Magistrates office the other day. On the wall were all the non traffic citations and fines. One of the offenses at the top of my list was riding a bicycle with no hands.

That is crazy! (the law, that is) I once got a ticket for riding my motorcycle through town in my barefeet. Looking back, that was stupid of me. Could have lost my toes if I had laid it down.

I am afraid that with all of the attention that the bingo stores have been getting lately, they are going to reject the homebrew bill, too. I hope I am wrong.

That is crazy! (the law, that is) I once got a ticket for riding my motorcycle through town in my barefeet. Looking back, that was stupid of me. Could have lost my toes if I had laid it down.

I am afraid that with all of the attention that the bingo stores have been getting lately, they are going to reject the homebrew bill, too. I hope I am wrong.

You need to get something in those fermenters.:mug:

Oh yeah that would have sucked to lay it down but just imagine a nice rock pops up hits you square on top of the foot. :cross:

Nice 420 is bubbling along but it's temp is low at 62 I might have to move it up to my office with my other one for better temp. At some point I'm going to have to figure out a temp regulator thing.......

Back