Bottoms Up from Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some advice on home brewing. I want to get started. I'm trying to decide on a equipment kit. Please any advice would be great as there are a few out there.

+2 for #2

I have a beer theif and probably used it once. Its great and all that you can take a sample and drop your hydrometer into the theif, but you can't drink it! or the idea is that you return the beer back. I use a turkey baster and it works just fine.

If it was two 6.5 gallon better bottles then maybe.

Okay so I'm ordering number 2 and adding in a an Irish Stout Kit from same site.....

What you guys think?

Also I'm in Moody, Al.

Just curious, isn't AL one of the three states where HBing isn't legal yet? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Edit: Sorry dude, where are my manners?!?! WELCOME!!!

Yes I just read that it isn't legal here....Alabama I'm starting to wonder why I moved back but my order seems to have processed via the site so who cares right? We just changed the legal beer limit from like 5 or 6 % to 13.5 % so we are moving in right direction.

I meant to ask chucke on that if he had any issues getting his stuff shipped?

Hello and welcome from Alexandria, AL. Although it is illegal to make homebrew here, it is not illegal to purchase or sell the ingredients to make it. No problem having equipment/ingredients shipped here. Also, check out Alabrew in B'ham.

Located in Moody-there are a couple of homebrewing clubs in B’ham. http://www.carboyjunkies.net/ seems to be the most active, and http://hbd.org/bbm/.

Legality of homebrewing- yep, it’s illegal in AL, but the law isn’t enforced if you keep your head down. There is a bill going through the state Senate, SB 153, to legalize homebrewing. I encourage you and every Alabama homebrewer to contact your state Senator and urge him or her to support the bill. To find your state Senator- http://www.legislature.state.al.us/misc/zipsearch.html

Shipping-as has been said, no problems. You may want to specify on shipments that no mention of homebrewed beer or wine be on the outside of the box.

My order is being processed and I added a note to ship in plain shipping material. Hope that they will.

I want to keep my head down. I will sing up for the homebrew deal in our state. I'm a supported of "free the hops" which passed and I supporter of "free the grapes" still no progress yet.

Thanks for all the help so far. I hope this first batch "Irish Stout" turns out great....I have already begin downloading recipes for a Guinness Stout Clone.

Thanks for the website. I haven't been to that one yet. Yes I got the free DVD. Glad to hear it's plain packaging from that site.

I've ordered from Midwest a few times, including the beginners kit, and they'll ship it plain. BTW, the kit you ordered includes a DVD on homebrewing. That, along with howtobrew.com are big helps for your first brew.

Good luck!

I almost forgot about that. Its a pretty good intro to brewing and they had a thing about wine making if im not mistaken.

Thanks...Things in Alabama are starting to lift a little. My little home town of Arab, AL went wet this past year. I thought I'd never see that..... Thanks for the welcome

Also an Alabama native here (Bham), also just got into brewing beer. Will throw in a recommendation for Austin Homebrew Supply. I've been buying from them for a while now and they are awesome. Fast delivery for cheap to Alabama.

Thanks iSadrak, I'll check that out. Glad to see a few Bama Natives on here cause I'm new and could need help.

My Equipment kit with Midwest supplies is marked complete so a shipping tracking number should be on the way...........Almost a home brewer.

I like midwest. Used to order from them back in the mead making days. Be prepared for the brown paper envelope with their hydroponic catalog. Always made me laugh.

Welcome welcome!

I would definitely say if you can get out to a carboy junkies meeting it would probably benefit you. I don't know any of the guys; but, they win a lot of awards at competitions so I am sure you can get some good info and feedback on your beers from them.

Another online store I would recommend is Brewmasters Warehouse. It is based in ATL so I wager that the shipping would be really quick to the 'ham. Happy brewing!

welcome! I'm a b'ham new brewer also. I am also a new member with carboy junkies. check 'em out. we just had a meeting that went very well with some great tasting beers.

good luck and welcome!! :mug:

Is there a link to the bham carboy junkies? Or can I just google them? Also my equipment and first beer kit (Irish Stout) has left Saint Paul, MN and I should have it thursday according to Fedex. If weather allows I'll be having a brew day this Saturday.

carboyjunkies.net is the website. they are also a yahoo group with an email list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carboyjunkies/ is the yahoo link.

I hope those work lol.

Good luck on yourbrew day this weekend! How close to Bham are you? I'm in the trussville/pinson area.

I'm in Moody. I did live in pinson still have a house for sale there. I'll check those links when I get a chance. Thanks. If it rains I'll have to hold off brew day I think but if it doesn't rain I'll be doing brew day plus a little grilling out and drinking on my commerical brew.....

Ah, not far at all.

Well, hopefully the rain will hold off in your favor. I'm hoping to get to brew one day this week or weekend if I can get over to Alabrew to pick up everything.

Ah, not far at all.

Well, hopefully the rain will hold off in your favor. I'm hoping to get to brew one day this week or weekend if I can get over to Alabrew to pick up everything.

Cool. I heard of this Alabrew on here and I'd like to check it out. Let me know when you plan on going perhaps I can meet you there. Like to get to know some people I can ask for help as I need.

Alabrew is great. I've only been once, but Kim, the guy that runs it and his wife are very knowledgeable. I've only brewed two batches, once almost ready to drink and the other waiting another couple weeks before bottling. So I'm pretty new also and am still learning but having a blast! lol. If I don't head out to Alabrew in the next day or two I'll probably go Saturday morning. Haven't decided yet. Will definitely stay in touch about it though. Love meeting local homebrewers!

The excitement of knowing that it is that close is sometimes unbearable isn't it?

Back