Bottling: What types of jars are acceptable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitrate

Reaction score
Are any type of glass containers acceptable when bottling kombucha? Only having used GT's bottles, I would like to reuse other bottles if possible. We were discussing if Kevita bottles would work.

This is our third batch of kombucha, and we would love to hear any tips before we start bottling again.

As long as you are using a glass container you are fine just make sure there is a way to keep the bottle closed when you are not drinking it. Some people even use plastic water bottles in the gallon size. They make sure that its refrigerated so it doesn't form a plug as quickly with a new scoby. I have used old beer bottles that I can recap as well as some water bottles that are glass olive oil bottles and soy sauce bottles sriracha bottles that were both glass.

Sorry I'm talking to my phone to type. Burnt my right hand in the process of making it today for a new batch. Totally forgot that the pot was still hot after pouring it into my brewing system. Maybe I should bring drinking more coffee

As long as you are using a glass container you are fine just make sure there is a way to keep the bottle closed when you are not drinking it. Some people even use plastic water bottles in the gallon size. They make sure that its refrigerated so it doesn't form a plug as quickly with a new scoby. I have used old beer bottles that I can recap as well as some water bottles that are glass olive oil bottles and soy sauce bottles sriracha bottles that were both glass.

Thank you for the reply. We will certainly be using other bottles this batch then. We are planning on bottling Sunday so it may be a few days before any other updates.

Our kombucha is smelling very good so far. This will be a week longer than our usual fermentation of two weeks. Here's hoping the pH is where we want it!

Back