bottling shelf stable soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
couple questions on bottling soda.

1. Can you bottle soda from a beer gun or is the carb level/foam too much? I'd like to start doing a Hibiscus Lime soda as a non alcoholic option, and as a rum mixer(we are in the tropics
smile.gif
:cool:). and am thinking it might be cool to have some cases of bottles on hand as well. I have the last straw bottle filler. How about flavored club sodas? (the la croix type). I've done regular club soda just off the tap with no issues.
I found a few youtube videos that sodas are bottled in 2 stages, the syrup is added first, then carbonated water is added. Guess this reduces foam?

2. Can you use the same machine and lines to fill beer and sodas? or would the lines smell like soda? (I'm planning to only do lighter stuff and not root beer or colas.)

3. Preservatives. What would be better to curb bottle bombs? Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, both? and is there a calculation on how much to add?

Couldn’t you bottle pasteurize like a cider. I believe there is a sticky in the cider section.

I’ve never done it with sodas, but have with ciders. I make honey sodas (w ginger, lemon etc). I usually keg them and keep them at 34 degrees in kegerator.

It would be nice to bottle a few to free up keg space.

Back