Keg stable ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
I'm making (non-alcoholic) ginger beer for a bar.
We will be giving them several kegs at a time, and I assume they will not always be refrigerated.

Thus the product needs to be somewhat stable without refrigeration, for a month or so. It's probably ok if it starts to ferment a tiny bit, but not much. Ideally as little preservatives as possible would be great.

I have already ruled out doing any natural carbonation (using yeast) as it would make things more complex.

Also, we would like to it be quite spicy - and I understand the more pungent flavours of ginger come through when it is not heated. However if I'm adding uncooked ginger, I'm worried that will introduce yeasts, and potentially other nasties. I don't want to get anyone sick.

Anyone out there have some experience with this?
Any ideas to help keep things from fermenting AND spoiling
- potassium sorbate, citric acid, sodium benzoate?
- I read one place turmeric helps too (and is a welcome flavour addition)

Also any ideas to help with the idea of adding fresh (unheated) ginger?

Many thanks!

Have you done some ginger Beer yet in keg? In that case, how did you go around it, could you share recipe?

If you still thinking about how to go around. How about poring boiling water over the ginger (this should kill envy yeast right?), let cool then juice ginger in a mixer and mix with the rest of the ingredients.

Back