Bottling Bucket with Starsan Smells like Sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbi365

Reaction score
I had my bottling bucket sitting with 5 gallons of starsan solution (1 oz of starsan). When I opened it to transfer it had a strong rotten egg/sulphur scent to it. The bucket is fairly new with only a couple of uses to it. I scrub it out regularly after use and sanitize it prior to use.

I am tossing all the starsan solution and starting over fresh. But what's going on here? Is this going to affect my beer if I use the bucket?

Update the ph of the solution is yellow? My test kit directions don't go that low so I am assuming it is acidic. The scent seems to be coming from the lid. There is a rubber gasket around the lip. Could this be the source?

I get a sulphur-like smell from StarSan in general, FWIFW.

I've hit that smell in my better bottles a few times. I know of two things that can cause it.

1. You didn't get the old dead yeast of it after the last use, or
2. Your StarSan has been mixed for too long. StarSan seems to keep fine in it's concentrated form, but once it's mixed with water, it seems to only keep for about 30 days. After that it slowly gets a sulphur smell to it. After about 90 days I've had it stink so bad I about got whiplash from the speed that my head snapped back away from my bucket.

eww eww that SMELL

Lets say you have a 5g glass carboy..
Its filled 1/4 way with 'EITHER' a PBW mix or a STARSAN mix.
but you FORGOT which. :confused:
They both have a frothy head when shaken...
so---
Just by the smell, can you tell which is which..? for sure.?

Mine smells fruity clean or sweet, and I'm thinking it's PBW..
Starsan is kinda..'nothing' bland,→ to me. Not SWEET..

oh wait....geez....did I make and Oxyclean mix ? ? ?
oh brother.!!

( I know I can just throw it out but just wondering.....)
BB

Starsan is made up of dio-debenzene sulfonic acid, phosphoric acid and water. DDBSA is a sulfur based acid and is supposed to smell that way. As for the lingering smell in the fermenter / bottling bucket, I'm not sure if it would transfer to your beer but there is nothing wrong with your starsan.

Back