I hope I did not screw up my bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I just realised that I have had almost 5 gallons of starsan mixture sitting in one of my fermenting buckets for about a month. The liquid is still clear but I am wondering if I screwed up my bucket by keeping it in there? I am planning to possibly have a brew day soon and wanted to get a batch of beer and a batch of cider going at the same time. Should I just now use the bucket as my sanitizing bucket and buy another fermenting one to replace it? Should I just pour the Starsan solution down the drain and make a new batch when I am ready to brew? Any input would be most appreciated. RR

The bucket itself should be A-OK.
I keep Starsan in plastic buckets for several weeks, months even, without any issues.

If the Starsan is grimey, very cloudy, or pH is above 3.0, dump it. Rinse out the bucket well, there may be some residue on the bottom.
Then mix a fresh batch.

Oh... maybe I should have mentioned: When dumping time comes, my girlfriend carries the bucket upstairs and dumps it down all the drains. (I have problems with lifting :p ) ..It really does seem to keep the drains clean and smell-free.

They say as long as it's not cloudy it's good. However I'd dump it just to be more certain and save my pennies elsewhere.

The bucket should be good.

They say as long as it's not cloudy it's good. However I'd dump it just to be more certain and save my pennies elsewhere.
There's no need to make big buckets full of it either. One gallon (3-4 liter) or even half a gallon (1.5-2 liter) is plenty for most uses. Just "mop" it onto surfaces with a small washcloth drenched in it.

A spray bottle is handy too.

Back