Bottling Apfelwein - brown or clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fionnbharr

Just Some Guy in a Hat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... Next weekend, I'll be bottling some apfelwein I've had fermenting since the juice was pressed last fall, and I'm wondering about the bottles.

I don't own a corker, and I've always just crown-capped the wine in brown beer bottles.

My question is: Do I need brown bottles, or can I use clear ones?

Everyone knows brown bottles are appropriate for beer, but what about wine? Does the apfelwein need to be protected from light the way beer needs protection?

I know commercial wine uses all sorts of colors for bottles: clear, blue, green, and I've even seen purplish-red.

Is that because they add preservatives and stuff, or does it really not matter what color I bottle my wine in?

Thanks!

I guess my question is what is there is your wine that is sensitive to light (UV in particular)? I would consider apple wine very similar to white wine and white wine typically does not need any special protection from light. However, if you added hops or some other light sensitive ingredient then you may need to protect your wine with brown or green glass.

I would use whatever you had. I plan to put mine in brown beer bottles to help me "meter" consumption.

Nothing added to the wine -- just juice and some sugar for added kick.

I guess I'll use whatever I have on hand. I have some clear bottles -- decorative types -- that might look good with golden apple wine inside.

Thanks!

I bottle mine in Corona bottles that i have socked in vinegar to get the painted label off

UV light can damage wine, especially whites. However just keep it out of direct sunlight and it should be fine. Colored bottles help to lessen the risk, but whites are absolutely ok if stored prudently.

I use whatever empties I have around for my meads....brown, green, clear. I like to bring out the clear bottles when serving to guests (the oooh ahhh factor, I guess), but all of them sit boxed up in the rather dark basement or in the 'fridge....I'd imagine prolonged exposure to direct sunlight wouldn't be great for ANY beverage, really, but....use whatever, I forsee no problems with clear bottles.

Back