bottleing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I normally keg, but have decided to bottle a batch of stout that I brewed. My basement site around 62 degrees. Will that be too cold for them to carb up.
I could bring them up into the house which would be about 68 degrees.....
either way, about how long does it take to carb???

Thx

I normally keg, but have decided to bottle a batch of stout that I brewed. My basement site around 62 degrees. Will that be too cold for them to carb up.
I could bring them up into the house which would be about 68 degrees.....
either way, about how long does it take to carb???

Thx

Shouldn't be a problem. Add the right amount of priming sugar (there are calculators) and should be carbonated in no less than 2 weeks.

Ok thx. I have 5oz of Brewers Best priming sugar. I'm assuming its corn sugar.
It says its for 5 gallons, but all the calculators seem to say that 5oz is too much???

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388941137.584587.jpg

I find 5 ounces is too much. Look at an online calculator if you want, I generally use .8 ounces per gallon. But you need a scale to measure it out.

EDIT: or eyeball 4/5 of the package

I would shoot for a temp above 65F. It probably gets colder at night, your average temp may be lower than you think. If you stall it, you’ll waste a lot of time. I’d give it two weeks or so upstairs, then store it in the basement.

Yeast are a little crankier with beer than with wort, the alcohol slows them down. Carbonate a little warmer than your fermentation.

I use 110g of table sugar, a little less than four ounces.

I would shoot for a temp above 65F. It probably gets colder at night, your average temp may be lower than you think. If you stall it, you’ll waste a lot of time. I’d give it two weeks or so upstairs, then store it in the basement.

Yeast are a little crankier with beer than with wort, the alcohol slows them down. Carbonate a little warmer than your fermentation.

I use 110g of table sugar, a little less than four ounces.

huh? I don't think 3 degrees is going to make any difference.

If you bottle carb at 70*F, it's going to take about 3 weeks followed by a few days in the fridge. If the temps are below 65*F, it's going to take longer. Below 60*F and it takes a lot longer or may not happen.

For a 5 gallon stout, about 4.2 ounces of corn sugar should serve you well.

Back