Bottle Cap Table 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjohnson11

Reaction score
I started this table roughly 6 months ago but it could probably be finished in about a week or two along with any other DIY project if you don't get distracted by the SWMBO. I looked up a generic coffee table design off the internet and modified the dimensions to fit what materials I could find. I then began cutting, sanding, staining, and glossing. The asembly was the easy part, the difficult part was securing the caps and pouring the epoxy....If you have any questions or specifics about the process feel free to ask otherwise I will probably write in detail about it soon :rockin: , next DIY is the famous Keezer!

456.jpg

455.jpg

460.jpg

463.jpg

755.jpg

This is awesome. I had one like this in college.... It wasn't as nice, amd the caps were all of BMC and the like.

How did you secure the caps? Did you spread a thin layer of epoxy, place the caps in, then let it set, and then add more epoxy?

How did you secure the caps? Did you spread a thin layer of epoxy, place the caps in, then let it set, and then add more epoxy?

I actually hot glued every cap down and sealed all the edges with hot glue then I then mixed and poured a gallon of epoxy over it which covered everything - a few of the caps started to float though and I had to push down with a toothpick until the bubbles from underneath came out, it was a huge pain because all the air trapped slowly expanded and leaked as the epoxy warmed up. I also bought a small torch for Home Depot and sprayed the top with the co2 fumes to pop all the little bubbles. I ended up doing a second coat with another gallon of expo a week later. If I did it again i would try doing a thin layer first so that they couldn't float and do a better job of hot glueing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks awesome. I have been saving caps for a long time. Saving them for a bottle cap backsplash for when I finally build a bar!

Please post a link for the epoxy you used.

How deep is recessed area in the table top for the caps?
Looks like maybe a "1 by" you mitered then attached to some plywood?
So maybe 3/4" recess?

thanks Kevin

Please post a link for the epoxy you used.

How deep is recessed area in the table top for the caps?
Looks like maybe a "1 by" you mitered then attached to some plywood?
So maybe 3/4" recess?

thanks Kevin

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKZFLI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

^ I saw this stuff from an old thread about a beer cap table with good reviews and it turned out great.

I secured a 2x6 around the plywood (not on top) which is 1.5" thick and the plywood was about 0.5" maybe 0.75" thick so roughly 3/4"-1". And there is still about a quarter inch of recess left after pouring two gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back