Bottle aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulleyman

Reaction score
So I am doing my first brew, summer ale, and it is currently a week old in the bottles. I know this hasn't aged long enough, but had a question. I tasted one and it is pretty good. Fully carbonated, but I feel the flavor needs to age further. I don't want the bottles to explode. Should I age another couple weeks at room temp or in the fridge?

At least another week at room temp. But heck, if you like the way they taste now, why not put a few in the fridge?

I know you don't know how much priming sugar I put in or if it finished fermenting, but am I at risk of explosions? The sugar has to be all eaten up by now right?

Room temp is for aging your beer. If your beer's fermentation was complete and you added the correct amount of sugar for priming the batch your bottles will not explode.

It takes 3 weeks on average for an average gravity beer to carbonate & condition. Ime,conditioning usually takes another week. The flavor will def be more sorted out at that time. Then at least a week fridge time to get co2 into solution & settle any chill haze. Two weeks gives thicker head & longer lasting fine bubbled carbonation.

If you drink 6 per week, your last 6 pack will be aged 2 months. It's your first brew, enjoy it now and see for yourself how the aging process transforms your beer. No reason to wait any longer if it tastes good now.

I guess just like every first time home brewer I am impatient. I think I am going to throw a sixer in the fridge and enjoy till the rest has aged more. Thanks for the posts this forum is awesome!

I know you don't know how much priming sugar I put in or if it finished fermenting, but am I at risk of explosions? The sugar has to be all eaten up by now right?

Sounds like you're concerned about this.

Was it possibly not done fermenting?
How much priming sugar *did* you add?

It was just what the kit had in it, idk I worry a lot. maybe brewing isn't a great hobby lol.

Priming sugar wise you should be OK then, as long as it was done fermenting too.

It is what you make of it. If you love beer you're in the right place.

And I will NOT be quoting Charlie P.

you are probably not in any danger of bottle bombs if you followed the priming instructions and sanitized. worrying is somewhat of a good thing in home brewing. You do not want to be to relaxed when brewing as it could lead to mishaps that may result in bottle bombs or even worse, bad tasting beer! Like the others have said, try a few but keep the rest conditioning and it will ONLY GET BETTER WITH AGE ( up to a point of course)

I let it ferment for 8 days in the primary. Then 2 weeks in the secondary. Added 3/4 cup on priming sugar.

I'm all for aging, had an arrogant bastard clone that turned out decent, just a little watered down. Drank it all young, was ok, nothing special...
Saved one bottle for a special occasionand six months later it was AMAZING!
Let it ride longer.

I'm another big fan of aging. Unless you are brewing an IPA or a wheat beer, consider setting at least a six pack back in a closet for a few months and forget about them. They may well be the very best of the batch.

As for bottle bombs - if your gravity was stable when you bottled, you are in no danger at one ounce of priming sugar per gallon. The yeast will eat all of the priming sugar, then they will go dormant.

If this were not the case, it would be impossible for commercial beer to sit on shelves.

Latest posts

Back