Boiled blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
So long story short, I decided to try boiling my blueberries with the hopes of making a "blueberry pie" beer, and am now boiling my blueberries for any beer needing them.

I have been finding the flavour has been coming out amazingly and I've only been using 3-4lbs, better even then when I use to use up to 8 in secondary.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this or noticed it in blueberry beers or other fruit beers?

Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Never boiled them though. Any particular reason for the boiling?

I use about 1 lb/5 gallons and the flavor is on point. If I use more it only increases the clean-up, not the flavor.

Do you put them in whole or smush/blend them before adding? Do you add them at secondary, primary, keg, or boil?

Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Never boiled them though. Any particular reason for the boiling?

I use about 1 lb/5 gallons and the flavor is on point. If I use more it only increases the clean-up, not the flavor.

Do you put them in whole or smush/blend them before adding? Do you add them at secondary, primary, keg, or boil?

I have never really liked fresh blue berries as much as I have loved blue berry pie and pastry, so was wondering if boiling them would change the flavour much like cooking/baking them.

As for adding them, I freeze fresh farm blueberries, then thaw and smash in a food processor before adding to the boil as if a 30min hop addition.

Always tons of waste in the fermentor (but aren't most fruit/vegetable beers?) But the flavour comes out ridiculously stronger in my personal opinion.

Haven't tried black or raspberry, may do those next and see the difference.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this or noticed it in blueberry beers or other fruit beers?

I've never done it, but I've wondered if this would work for a long time. I don't make mead as often as I used to, so I never put it to the test. Raspberries provide a lot of flavor already. I wouldn't bother with cooking them, unless you really prefer that flavor over fresh. Blueberries on the other hand are one of my favorite fruits and I am always disappointed with them in beer or mead.

I use blueberries in my sour . I've never boiled them . Just froze and then thawed . I would of thought boiling would extract some of the flavor .

I've never done it, but I've wondered if this would work for a long time. I don't make mead as often as I used to, so I never put it to the test. Raspberries provide a lot of flavor already. I wouldn't bother with cooking them, unless you really prefer that flavor over fresh. Blueberries on the other hand are one of my favorite fruits and I am always disappointed with them in beer or mead.

Haven't tried raspberries yet, but thinking if it for my next rasberry wheat (don't have to worry about what little pectin is in the fruit) to compare it to fresh rasberries.

Not sure how it would go with mead, unless you added it to the honey boil and used some pectinase to keep it from clouding up, may work good though!

Back