Bodine Gear Motor Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiblerjd

Reaction score
I see a lot of threads out there regarding Bodine motor wiring but I don't see any that cover my motor so I have to start a new thread. The motor was a custom application for some company and most likely a conveyor motor. It is a type 42Y6BFC1-5N. The S/N which is really a PO number is PO512158.

I'll attach a picture of the wiring harness and the label plate information. The weird thing about this is I can't find any bodine motors out there with the same wire coloring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know the green-yellow is ground but that's about it.

image-1946571937.jpg

image-2708780780.jpg

I've had good success in the past by writing Bodine. Maybe include your photo. Where did you pick that one up.. looks pristine

I didn't pay anywhere near $145 I made him a best offer and he took it. I just need to know how to wire it now.

Unfortunately that isn't my wiring. Its the same motor basically but for some reason they changed the colors of the wires so I have no good reference.

Alright so I contacted Bodine and they gave me the number to one of their service centers and they were actually able to get me the wiring diagram. I figured I would share what I found and get opinions on how I'm going to wire the reverse switch to it. I wasn't going to worry about putting the reverse feature on it, but since it is fairly easy I figured why not.

Here is the file that bodine sent me:
image-2311811493.jpg

It is a little bit deceiving because the terminal on the capacitor actually have multiple connections so the black wire actually goes directly to the capacitor and a brown wire comes off another terminal on the same post of the capacitor as the black wire. So showing that on a diagram this is what it actually looks like.
image-877224277.jpg

So I plan on using a DPDT switch to give me a way to easily switch the yellow and black wires to change the direction of rotation. To do this you need 3 new wires. You need a wire that connects from the capacitor to the switch (purple), and you need two jumpers for the switch for the yellow and black wires. I'm also going to add and on/off switch to the hot line.
image-3632861203.jpg

Any comments or suggestions on the switch wiring would be greatly appreciated. I hope this helps someone in the future but because this is a pretty custom motor I bet there are not too many people that will use this.

day_trippr said:
Image tags seem to be broken...

Cheers!

Should be all fixed now. I can never get images to work on my pc only my iphone or mac.

I just hooked up the motor and ran it without the switches and it works great. I'm shocked at how much torque it has. The speed seems a lot slower than my drill used to do but 100 - 150 rpm seemed to be a pretty popular speed range on this site so i went for it. I get the lovejoys in a few days and im going to try this puppy out.

I was dying to test this thing out so I quickly wired up the switches and coupled it to the mill. I put some leftover grain in it, set the gap to as tight as it gets, and started it loaded and it literally didn't even hesitate. I cant believe how strong 40 in-lb really is. It feels more like 40 ft-lb. This thing is a beast. Now that the test is done time to build the real thing.

image-553469433.jpg

image-445584753.jpg

I hope this helps someone in the future but because this is a pretty custom motor I bet there are not too many people that will use this.

Not too far in the future :) I grabbed one of these from the same guy. So far so good, and thanks for doing the legwork on the wiring!

Robyn

Very nice find. Looking forward to seeing it complete. Might try the same setup but with a 3 roller mill. I am wondering if 40 in-lb will be enough torque for a 3 roller?

So after many many years of wanting to do this my grain mill is finally done. When I was planning this out I was going to use walnut and I was going to make something that actually looked more like a piece of furniture. The more I drew out the plans I realized it was probably kind of a waste of time and money for something that will ultimately get tucked in a corner where I would only see it a few times a year.

So instead I used all materials that I had left over around the shop and this entire project ended up costing me nothing other than the motor (and the mill I bought 10 years ago).

1-61978.jpg

Construction is pretty much all MDF. My main goal here was to have something very functional. I spent a lot of time designing this thing and had a ball doing it. I wired up a fwd/reverse switch, as well as an on/off switch. I tucked the switches away so they were easy to reach but would never get bumped into and broken off. I then hard wired a plug to it and made a cord reel so the cord would be kept neat and out of the way when not in use. I put a removable cover over the wiring so I could get at it if it was ever necessary.

2-61979.jpg

Mounting the mill was the hardest part. I built a spacer to go under the mill so I could get the motor/mill alignment just right. The grain dumps into a removable 7.5 gallon Rubbermaid bin. The clearance is very tight to keep the dust level down.

3-61980.jpg

Last thing I did was make a bigger hopper for the grain. It holds about 3 gallons of grain which I believe is roughly 15 lbs. I didn't want the hopper to be massive and don't mind having to fill it once while crushing if doing a 10 gallon batch. I used all the internals out of the old hopper to limit the grain flow to what the mill was designed for. Just for fun I built a lid for the hopper to keep stuff out of it when not in use. You can't see it in the pictures but I notched the bottom of the hopper out so that the weight actually rests on the metal part of the mill and not just on the screws. Its extremely sturdy.

4-61981.jpg

I'm really happy with the way this turned out and can't wait to crush some grain in it. Last week before I had this done I crushed 25 lbs of grain using a make shift setup with the motor and mill. It was incredibly quiet and had all the power in the world. If anyone has question let me know. And just in case you are curious I used a festool domino cutter for the joinery on this thing so you can basically park a truck on top of it.

5-61982.jpg

6-61983.jpg

Finally got to use the mill today and it worked awesome. I learned two things. #1 I had to remove the mesh screen because for some reason it restricted the flow too much. #2 If I put the lid for the bin under the bin while it is operating it creates a perfect seal with zero dust. Our furnace is running in the basement which is really what is making all the noise. The mill itself is extremely quiet.

[ame="http://youtu.be/6mspmaecFhE"]http://youtu.be/6mspmaecFhE[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/U4vQBMb0Glc"]http://youtu.be/U4vQBMb0Glc[/ame]

Back