Blichmann Burner vs Bayou Classic KA4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one but brewed with a friend that has one. WOW it was awesome. I'll be getting one after Christmas. Silent and very efficient. I love how it has it's own wind block. Great for garage or out door brewing. Go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have the Blichmann, but the burner in the Bayou looks to be about the same, so probably would work as well. Difference is the body (frame) of the Blichmann is all SS, where the Bayou is powder coated steel. I have a different model of the Bayou, and even though it has never been out in the weather, after it has been hot a few times, it has started to rust where the coating is burned off. My advice would be to periodically hit it with a wire brush and touch it up with some heat paint to ward off the rust. Haven't had that problem with the SS Blichmann, obviously. Also, you can get extension legs for the Blichmann and get your kettle up to a more comfortable level, which I have also.

I love my blichmann burner, it is absolutely amazing. As others have stated, the bayou burner looks very similar to the one in the blichmann. I say get what you want, so long as your budget allows it.

I am leaning towards the Blichmann. I am hoping that Northern Brewer has an after Christmas special

The other difference is that the blichmann is tuned to use les pressure - it gets great results on less BTUs, so less waster propane. Bayou burner works well but uses a lot more propane - not as efficient.

++++1 on the Blichmann burner w/ the extensions. I was lucky enough to start w/ one a few years ago & it is very efficient, quiet, & sturdy.
I can get 8 gal from cold to mash temp in about twenty minutes!

I have had both, the blichmann is a lot easier on the propane and the fit and finish is a little nicer, but both work great.

When searching for a burner, I looked at the KAB4 and KAB6, but price including shipping on these put them within about $50 (with shipping) of the Blichmann burner. The nice and shiny SS on the Blichmann sold me, and the fact that this thing just sips propane (and is easily configured for natural gas) convinced me to go with this burner. I couldn't be happier. I have now configured mine with a BBQ spark ignitor, and the burner is super convenient. As with all Blichmann product, the price is higher, but you end up with a very high quality unit that will likely perform for a lifetime of brewing. I have no regrets.

I have the Bayou sq14, but just got the Blich burner for Christmas. I've been happy with the Bayou, but I can't wait to try the Blichman.

Thanks for all of your advice. I received my Blichmann fired it up I am impressed the construction and quality! I bought the extension legs too!

Latest posts

Back