BJCP Judges - Flight Size Questions/Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at a competition yesterday that reminded me exactly how much I hate large flights. Four pairs of judges at this table and our flight sizes were 9, 9, 10 and 10. Then best of table or mini BOS.

Beside the inebriation issue, I don't like that it takes so long to get through a big flight, my handwriting goes to hell, and I just get tired of evaluating 10 similar beers.

I'm the judging director for a mid-size competition (430 entries) in two weeks and am doing what I can to address the issue of flight size. So far, of the 31 tables we have, 5 of them have an average flight size of either 8.5 or 9. The vast majority are 7 or under.

What do you think about flight sizes? What is your optimal size? For me, it would be six.

I find 5-7 to be the most reasonable.

Though, with the new BJCP hybrid check box score sheets, 8 probably won't be too bad (from a writing fatigue standpoint.....but it doesn't address pallet fatigue issues).

I've been the organizer and head judge for our club competition (about 300 entries). I try to keep the flight sizes to 5-7 beers. Sometimes it's not possible when you end up with 8 or 9 beers. It also depends on how many judges are actually available.

The worst I had this year was one category with 9 entries.

I've been the organizer and head judge for our club competition (about 300 entries). I try to keep the flight sizes to 5-7 beers. Sometimes it's not possible when you end up with 8 or 9 beers. It also depends on how many judges are actually available.

The worst I had this year was one category with 9 entries.

That's exactly where I'd like to be - but right now, five of our 31 tables will be larger than that. I hate it. And we've got ten more judges than last year. I've got a week and a half for more judges to sign up, I really only need four or six more to solve the problem. Assuming everyone shows up LOL.

I find 5-7 to be the most reasonable.

Though, with the new BJCP hybrid check box score sheets, 8 probably won't be too bad (from a writing fatigue standpoint.....but it doesn't address pallet fatigue issues).

That's true. We're using the regular score sheets. Honestly, I think I'd rather set a lower limit on the number of entries than use the check box sheet for a competition (except for the NHC regionals, where I think it makes a lot of sense).

Ideal is 6-8. In my area, it is usually more like 8-10. The most I've had was 14, and that was really shitty - but it was a huge competition and there were just not enough judges.

I usually end up judging 8-10 but definitely prefer 6-8.

Unfortunately getting judges to come out for comps seems to be getting harder and harder.

I judged a comp last year where after I finished my 10 beer flight of saisons I got pulled to judge another flight of 8 Belgian Strongs because some judges didn't show up...that was a long day.

7 is a nice number. It's not too much, but just enough where you won't get 100% stinkers. I often get kind of tired at the 8th and subsequent entries.

Certified #A0511

We're in the week of the competition now. Four rounds - tonight (Monday), Wednesday night, Saturday morning and afternoon. We have 69 judges registered and just short of 450 entries. The flights have worked out - of the 31 tables, one is at a flight of nine, a couple are at eight, and the vast majority are 7 or less.

We have a National or higher judge at every table, also.

First round of judging on Monday night, we did two tables, eight judges - Pale Bitter European Beers and Amber European Beers. In the first, we had German Leichtbier, Kolsch, German Exportbier and German Pils entries. In the second, we had Kellerbiers, Altbiers, Marzen and Dunkel Bocks. We will do three tables on Wednesday night's round and then 26 on Saturday.

I'm the guy in the red t-shirt with his back to you.

29366352_10156734112923268_7698138079558631424_n.jpg

Back