Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could be right. I figure It might change a little if the yeast are still active at 38 degrees. Hell if I know. Lol.
I gave it about 2.5 weeks in the primary. I'm just not familiar with the Muntons yeast. Maybe it is just a lower(?) attenuating yeast.
I had a package in my fridge that I received in a kit.

Did this recipe yesterday. Mashed at 158 for an hour and did a 60 min boil.
I only got 73% in my efficiency, so the OG was a bit lower than expected( right at 1.050).
Im predicting that the FG will be 1.016 but for some reason, the app Im using says that the alcohol % will only be 4.6.
Is that right?
I used safale US05 since its never let me down

Brewed this guy up on Monday. Everything went pretty good minus the melted chiller hose! Currently have it in a plastic tub with some water and frozen gallon jugs. My guess is its around 65ish, maybe a little more but it's very active. How long do you think I should really worry about it being that cool, just a few days? the first week? Its in a basement where the ambient temp is probably uppers 60's low 70's.

Yes,mid you are looking to have this ready by Oktoberfest you need to begin brewing now. I'm making Biermuncher's Hells Bells this weekend - Prost!

When the hell is your Oktoberfest? Lol. I have the weekend of August 20th as the last chance for a 6 week grain to glass time table!

Anyways, planning on brewing this very soon. Scaled down to 3 gal BIAB, so should be interesting. :tank:

Any significant changes to the recipe that anyone recommends or just use the one on the first page? Also what is the consensus for the best liquid yeast option? it seems there are a handful of options floating around. I plan on bottling up a few batches and giving them out as favors for my wedding in the fall so i hope it turns out well! Cheers!

Any significant changes to the recipe that anyone recommends or just use the one on the first page? Also what is the consensus for the best liquid yeast option? it seems there are a handful of options floating around. I plan on bottling up a few batches and giving them out as favors for my wedding in the fall so i hope it turns out well! Cheers!

I would stick to the original. My preferred yeast for this is the Wyeast German Ale.

Finally planning on giving this a shot with Wyeast Kölsch this weekend now that I've got my kegerator going and working on a ferm chamber. Going to do a second batch in the first week of September with 04 or 05 and see how they compare.

So I picked up everything to brew a batch this weekend and noticed that the hops are only 2%AA bringing the IBU's down into the 13-14 range. Any input as to the how noticeable the effect would be on the finished product? I was thinking that would be a little low. Thanks.

So I picked up everything to brew a batch this weekend and noticed that the hops are only 2%AA bringing the IBU's down into the 13-14 range. Any input as to the how noticeable the effect would be on the finished product? I was thinking that would be a little low. Thanks.

Calculate the amount of hops needed @ 2% to get to the target IBU's & add to your additions accordingly.

I ordered and finally rec'd my grains for this beer. I just finished up BM's Centennial Blonde, and I was thinking why not pitch directly onto the Nottingham yeast that's already in the fermenter.

I ordered and finally rec'd my grains for this beer. I just finished up BM's Centennial Blonde, and I was thinking why not pitch directly onto the Nottingham yeast that's already in the fermenter.

I just did a back to back batch a wk apart using my German Ale yeast. I trsf'd to a 2ndry a little over a wk out and put the fresh batch right on top of the remaining yeast. It took off in less than 30 minutes. Was coming out of the blow off in the hour. I assume yours work work as well depending on how long its been in the primary. Only concern might be any other hops that were in the different beer that might give this one a little different flavor. Should be good though.

Thanks for the inspiration for this. Mine isn't a spot-on copy but I wouldn't have used the aromatic malt otherwise. I'm mashing my take on the recipe as we speak. I'm looking to serve it around the middle of October.

Just about at two weeks and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Anybody else experience this? I boiled off too much and it ended up at 1.069 [emoji16]

Just about at two weeks and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Anybody else experience this? I boiled off too much and it ended up at 1.069 [emoji16]

I would take a sample and see what your FG is currently to see if the sugars have been converted. Wont hurt to give it a few more days unless your in a time crunch. "Generally"... 7-14 days and the yeast are done with their part.

I did the same, except I was looking for a higher abv so I increased my two row and Pilsen. Boiled off way too much liquid (experiment with a new kettle) and ended with 1.088 OG after adding a gallon of water. This was also my first all grain beer, so maybe should have stuck to the original recipe...oops

I just took a reading and it appears to have finished at 1.025. I ramped up the temp to about 74 after the first week or fermentation. It tasted fine and didn't taste sweet. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and bottle this. Any thoughts?

I just took a reading and it appears to have finished at 1.025. I ramped up the temp to about 74 after the first week or fermentation. It tasted fine and didn't taste sweet. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and bottle this. Any thoughts?
Sounds like it might be done or near done. Would give it a light swirl and maybe take another reading in 24-48hr. I suspect it's mostly done. Are you bottling or kegging? Any cold crashing or gelatin?

I just kegged 12 gallons of this that I fermented with wlp830 German lager yeast for a true Marzen (even though it wasn't brewed in March). It's lagering in kegs and carbonating right now. Lagering started about 5 days ago. Just pulled a sample to check carbonation and flavor and I'm very happy with it at this early stage. I made a few minor tweaks to the recipe for this round. I made this as an ale with the original recipe last year and really liked it, so I'm hoping that brewing as a lager will make it that much better. I got comments on the ale last year about it being good but having a slightly fruity yeast character (fermentation temperature was controlled, can't remember the yeast I used), this should fix that. Anyways, it's a solid recipe as an ale or lager. I like it.

Added gelatin to my 5 gallon batch yesterday morning, hoping to have some clear beer after I take a pour in the morning! Taste was great very happy with the recipe. Two for two on the BM recipes now

Sounds like it might be done or near done. Would give it a light swirl and maybe take another reading in 24-48hr. I suspect it's mostly done. Are you bottling or kegging? Any cold crashing or gelatin?

Bottling. First time bottling in a while. I'm doing this for the favors for my wedding. No crashing or gelatin.

Tasting great already

IMG_3638.jpg

Question for anybody that has brewed this multiple times. I'm looking to make this possibly this weekend, will be a tight squeeze to fit it in after just moving a few weeks ago. Anyway, has anybody made it using differing base malt, such as pilsner one time, Marris otter another, and maybe 2-row or pale ale malt for another? What differences did you notice? Also, anything thoughts on using Safir for hops? Tettnang seems to have strange availability at LHBS but they seem to have the newer hops in stock more regularly.

Also, has anybody played around with changing the crystal malts? I know many have compared this Sam Adams and at one point their site and boxes said they used 5 different caramel malts... Now their site just says something like Oktoberfest malt blend.

Lastly, i may have some WLP090 from a currently fermenting brew that I could use for this, any reason why that wouldn't be a good idea? None I can think of but if others have tried and didn't like, can you provide any input?

I'd like to know about altering the malt also.Just the pilsner.Swapping with marris otter or 2 row.This Will be my next brew.
Has the recipe changed in the 84 pages.

I did make this a couple years ago and used MO instead of Pilsner. It was.ok bit I think my issue was that the FG ended up at like 1.005 or somewhere close to that. It was too dry, needed some sweetness, almost had a grainy taste to it. I also used WY1450 instead of S-04.

This recipe calls for Munich malt 20l. I have an order I'm going to place with rite brew but they only have Munich 8-12L. Will this be a good substitute. I'm new to all grain brewing and have trouble subbing malts. Any good reads on this subject? If anyone has time and could look at my cart I have attached a photo. Just like to make sure I'm ordering the right ingredients.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473730643.504375.jpg

This recipe calls for Munich malt 20l. I have an order I'm going to place with rite brew but they only have Munich 8-12L. Will this be a good substitute. I'm new to all grain brewing and have trouble subbing malts. Any good reads on this subject? If anyone has time and could look at my cart I have attached a photo. Just like to make sure I'm ordering the right ingredients.View attachment 369846

Using that Munich will be fine. The difference in final color might be a shade lighter, but probably not even noticeable. It might also be slightly less malty, but that would hardly be noticeable either.

Thank you for the recipe! Although this is my first 10 gallon batch, it seems like a beer I won't mind having a lot of. Going to split half for a party and half for the keezer!

I just finished a three week primary and opted to transfer straight to keg and cold crash. After brewing I actually ended up with closer to 12.5 gallons of 1.056 wort, so I was able to avoid the yeast cake and trub for a pretty clean siphon. So that gives me about 3 weeks to "lager" before the party.

Besides a pleasant malty sweetness, I'm getting an almost spicy flavor/aroma. The only substitute I made in the recipe was changing the Tettnang to 3oz of Spalter Select. But the Spalter Select hasn't given this profile in the other beers I've used it in. Is this from the Aromatic Malt?

This recipe is from 2007.When long primary and secondaries were in style,it calls for 6 weeks.Nowadays is this a 2 week grain to glass beer using us 04 yeast?

Back