BIAB Heater - 30gal+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximumTrainer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to start brewing and I'm looking to purchase all my starter equipment! BIAB looks perfect for me as I'm a beginner and like the minimalist approach.

I would like to purchase a big kettle, around 15-30gal. I know it's big to start but I want to be able to keep it for a long time.
I checked with my local brew expert here and she said my electric oven would be too small for a 30gal blichmann, not surprisingly.

So I'm looking for an alternative heater, something I can put where I want.
I am bit worried about the propane heater as I want to do my brewing inside, and the winter is really cold here. Also we don't really have gaz available here, so the best option would be something electric. I checked for induction heater but some people said they don't work with blinchman. Any idea what I could use the heat that 30gal?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

After some research I found a good alternative
The Blinchmann BoilCoil 240V.

Since I am in Canada and we have 240V installed for oven, it should work without too much work needed. I just have to figure how to find/build a control Box

When considering kettle size, realize that the minimum boil size is about 1/3rd of the total size. I can do 5 gal batches in my 15 but if it were 20 gal I would have to step up to 10 gallon boils if I want the heating element submerged. With a 30, you will be forced to make 10 gallons of everything. I don't think everyone outgrows 5 gallon batches unless you give away a ton of beer.

Thanks for the feedback Bobby,

I haven't yet decided between a 15, 20 or 30gal. But 30gal is probably too much for a beginner looking to start with 5gal batches.

I was not thinking about the element being outside for 5gal batches, that is a problem. Problem is I'm aiming for the long term and I want to be able to brew 10gal+ batches later. 15gal kettle may be a bit small for 10gal batches with BIAB no? But with the 20gal I won't be able to brew 5gal batches? (20/3 = 6.66gal. 6.66gal). I Should be good with element in water at the start of boil, but at the end, could be close

Do you use a BoilCoil in your setup?
Thanks!

Do you use a BoilCoil in your setup?
Thanks!

I highly doubt BobbyM uses a BoilCoil. Bobby owns and runs BrewHardware, and supplies a multitude of excellent products at fair prices. You could likely to buy a BrewHardware hot rod, element and a Concord 20 gallon kettle for the price of a BoilCoil.

Blichmann products are nice no doubt, but are overpriced in my simple little world.

JMO, you need to check out BrewHardware. The link is in Bobbys sig line posted above.

Thanks wilserbrewer,

I am the one who contacted you for a BIAB bag not long ago. Still waiting on my setup to purchase one :)

I have checked the brewhardware site. Biggest they seems to have for kettle is a 16gal, and I would prefer to encourage my local brewing shop.
Really sad that brewing guys are using gallons/quarter/fahrenheit for measurement. Metric system is universal and way better for measuring. /rant Imperial system

Edit:
After talking with my electrician friend, the oven outlet is a 240V 50A so I would not be able to use the BoilCoil. Looking for a 50A element now I guess!

Thanks wilserbrewer,

I am the one who contacted you for a BIAB bag not long ago. Still waiting on my setup to purchase one :)

I have checked the brewhardware site. Biggest they seems to have for kettle is a 16gal.
Really sad that brewing guys are using gallons/quarter/fahrenheit for measurement. Metric system is universal and way better for measuring. /rant Imperial system

Edit:
After talking with my electrician friend, the oven outlet is a 240V 50A so I would not be able to use the BoilCoil. Looking for a 50A element now I guess!

You can use an element that draws less current than the outlet is rated for, without problems. What you can't do is use an element that draws more current than the outlet is rated for.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks doug! Blinchmann support just confirmed this.

Apparently all you need is some sort of Adapter from your control box to the outlet. Haven't found a cheaper controller than this 240$ once tough :
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5KB3DS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And it's not on amazon.ca so i'll need to find something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up guys! I wasn't planning to buy this. I have an electrician friend that can help me. Or I will just get the "Tower of Power" part I need

If you want to keep it cheap and reduce the volume you need, then a ULWD heater for a hot water heater works great. I bought mine locally for about $12. 4500 W 240. My setup uses a 44 qt Bayou classic and I built the control using an auberins PID. I am still tweaking it, but it does work great and was not very expensive. I mounted the PID in a Spa panel from lowes to give me GFCI protection. You can see the setup here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505692&page=9

I am able to heat 5 gallon batches in under 30 minutes to mash and about 15 to boil. And with the PID I can set the temp and don't have to watch it like a hawk. The TOP and boil coil are great designs, but all a trade off on where you want to put your $$.

Hey RussPDX, great setup you have there, congrats.

I wish I had your skills in electricity and hand-work! I'm more of a software guy so I have a lot to learn.
What I'm afraid is buying a piece that's not gonna enter the kettle, wrong amp or something like that so I have to do a lot of research. I must say I'm not really comfortable drilling into an expensive kettle like that ;) How did you install the element to your kettle?

Just to understand, the role of the control box is to provide power to the element AND monitor the temperature. Monitoring the temperature being optional and requires more equipement right? But if I do a setup, I prefer do a good one like you and not half-done.

Thanks a lot you have given be great ideas!

You might consider doing some small stove top batches before investing in serious equipment. A paint strainer and a stockpot can get you started.

You might consider doing some small stove top batches before investing in serious equipment. A paint strainer and a stockpot can get you started.

Hey John,
Thanks for the advice, I figured better not to start too big before I learn the basics!
Here is my current setup on my stove. I will try to do 5 gal batch like this.
I was able to boil 6 gallons of water in about 1hour, just for testing.
Both elements on level 8/10, so I can probably boil faster on 10/10
Probably not possible to boil 10 gallons batches but may be worth a try ;)

Will try a real batch once I get my bag from wilserbrewer!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n9lyqget8m0ice/DSCF1522.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfur3evv53nbac0/DSCF1519.JPG?dl=0

Do you guys use a hose that you plug in your spigot to transfer to the fermenter? I think I will need this, if you can recommend a part feel free! Also do you clean your spigot each time (unmount all the pieces and clean them one by one?)
Thanks for helping a noob!
Max

Will try a real batch once I get my bag from wilserbrewer!

Shipped today Max, sorry but I have no idea how long they will want to examine the package at Canadian customs...hopefully not long :)

Yes, you want a hose to mount to your kettle valve, best product is silicon tubing.

Opinions vary on how often you need to dismantle the valve and clean, in theory it is part of the hot side and gets heat sanitized when you boil, so IMHO it is not that critical. ymmv

If you chill in the kettle, you could just let it rip to the fermenter as is...but not ideal.

That's a huge kettle to stove top...good luck. The 30 gal would have looked pretty awesome haha j/k I think you made a reasonable choice.....cheers!

Thanks for the fast shipping! Yeah Canadian custom can be picky, I'll be patient ;)

Silicone tubing, got it! Will see my local dealer to make sure I have the good sizing to plug it on the spigot

I will probably chill in the kettle, for now in the bath with ice until I get a real cooling device.

Sorry my english is not perfect, what do you mean by
"If you chill in the kettle, you could just let it rip to the fermenter as is...but not ideal."
Do you mean I could bypass the hose completely and try to aim in the fermenter once my wort is cooled? Sounds challenging but may try that :p

haha 30gal was too ambitious, I just like beer too much, even this one barely fit on my stove lol
Cheers!

Max - for the $5 get some tubing. Dont try to aim as the flow changes depending on the volume so you have to keep moving it....not fun.

As for control panels, I am far from an electrician. This is actually really easy stuff. I am happy to help when you are ready. If you dont want to have control over the power of an element then you have to use a smaller element and that means more time to heat up. I use a 5500 watt 240 element and it is great, but once it is boiling I cut back to 60 percent or so, so of I had an element that was half as strong then it would take twice as long to get to temps.

You also asked about drilling through the kettle. Patience. I used lots of patience. That, some cutting oil and a $12 step bit off Amazon. With a step bit you just go slow at each step you can stop and test your fit.

Sorry my english is not perfect, what do you mean by
"If you chill in the kettle, you could just let it rip to the fermenter as is...but not ideal."
!

Sorry, English translation would be "git er done"

Or, I would highly suggest using a length of tubing, but if the options were no beer, or a piece of tubing, I would choose to make beer.....

"Let it rip", to proceed haphazardly with the tools at hand to a desired known good ending :)

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Will definitly not wait for the hose to start brewing, also I haven't been able to find a silicone hose with reasonable price that ships to Canada. (<15$)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=1/2+silicone+hose

The kettle spigot got a thread so I thought I could screw some sort of hose in there.
Or do people just use a hose with hose clamp?
Seems like I will need a wide hose because the spigot is 3 centimers wide if I want to wrap the hose over it.

Edit:
Seems like you need some sport of adapter
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses

Back