Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Maris Otter and Citra SMaSH ale for my second all grain batch last year and it turned out awesome! Used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast fermented around 67*f.

I can't remember the amounts but I know I only used a fairly large first wort hop addition and a bunch of late additions as well. Dry hopped with a few oz in the keg too.

Thinking about doing a Maris Otter and Amarillo with the same yeast for my next brew. That sounds delicious.

Just brewed a saison smash.

Vienna/amarillo with wyeast belgian saison.

It's quite delectable.

Just had Mikkellers Galena single hop IPA and immediately bought a pound of Galenas for SMaSH duty. Getting busy this Sunday, can't wait.

well my vienna/centennial didnt turn out the way I wanted it (so far). 2 weeks primary at 60* (ambiant air temp) 4-5 days cold crash. 1 week bottle.

I tasted right before cold crashing and tasted good, right before bottling still tasted good. Then I tried 1 bottle after a week in the bottle and it was really soapy tasting. Im hoping maybe it was oxiclean residue and its just this bottle. Im going to let the rest sit another 1-2 weeks and try them. hopefully it only affected a few bottles and not the entire batch.

I soak my bottles in warm water with vinegar for about 15 minutes. Then I add some baking soda to each bottle. After the fizzing stops; they soak for 10 more minutes before getting rinsed and dunked in a star san solution. I do the same with my LBK. Works like a charm.

Bill

I soak my bottles in warm water with vinegar for about 15 minutes. Then I add some baking soda to each bottle. After the fizzing stops; they soak for 10 more minutes before getting rinsed and dunked in a star san solution. I do the same with my LBK. Works like a charm.

Bill

after they soak in the oxiclean i also rinse and soak in star san which confuses my as to why there would be left over residue. Ill just wait and see how it turns out after a few more weeks. Only batch so far 10+ that has had this taste. If my future batches see it then ill start to troubleshoot

Just Kegged my first SMaSH it was a MO/EKG mostly late additions and a 1 OZ dry hop. Fermented with WLP 023, the hydro sample tasted like sweet nectar cannot wait until it is carbed up and ready to go. Sometimes simple things can be beautiful!

I'm doing a session saison smash:

9lbs Pilsner
1oz Tettnang first wort hop
1oz Tettnang 5 min.
Wyeast 3724 - belgian saison

I love tettnang and use it in my hefes. I hope it turns out good in a saison!

German blonde ale (BIAB):
11 lbs. Bohemian Pilsner
Mash 149
90 minute boil
1 oz. Hallertau Mittelfrueh, 60 mins.
1 oz. Hallertau Mittelfrueh, 15 mins.
1/2 oz. sweet orange peel, 15 mins.
US-05, ferment 63F 2 weeks, bump up to 68F 1 week
OG 1.054, FG 1.008, 6% ABV
Carb to 3.0 vols.

It made a refreshing lawnmower beer.

This is my next SMASH, which I haven't been doing too much of lately for some reason:

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.011
ABV: 3.9%
28 IBU

8# Floor Malted Bo Pils

1oz Styrian Goldings at 90, 20 and 0 minutes.

Wyeast 3522 Ardennes Yeast

This was my first brew day ever. I went with 2-row and Cascade for an all grain 2.5 gallon batch. I just cracked it the other day, per another thread I started, and it came out WONDERFULLY.

It was however my first batch so I can't compare to anything. I can however, with 100% honesty, say that this is currently the best beer I have ever brewed! Hahahahah

:D

We will see if it is beaten out by any of the others I have aging;)

Kind of like you. I made this for my first all grain. A simple 2-row and cascade fermented with s-05. I kept it at 24 IBU's as it was for taking to a byob rehearsal dinner for my sons wedding. It came in a little high at 5.9% alcohol. I will say it was good. At the rehearsal dinner I had 2 of my beers and 6 craft beers to chose from. This simple smash was consumed at the rate of all the others combined until it was gone. 3 people told me it was the best beer they have ever had. One was my BIL that is a die hard coors light drinker. One was a die hard craft beer drinker. You cann't beat a simple blonde smash to appeal to everyone. I have a rebrew fermenting right now This time I did add 1 lb of vienna to give it a bit more character.

I've only done one so far, a 10 gallons of 2-row/Centennial AIPA: 1.072 OG, 62 IBU per Beersmith. Sparged off the first 2 gallons and boiled them down to about 0.5 gallons for kettle caramelization yumminess (refractometer initially read 1.088, eventually read way off the scale), then 3 oz whole leaf Centennial at 60', 2 oz @ 10', 2 oz @ 5', 2 oz @ flameout (10 minute whirlpool), and 5 oz for dry hop in secondary. WLP001 yeast. Basement was a little cold, so FG came out kinda higher than I expected, in the 1.020's, but the residual sugars are actually quite nice. Not sure if they came from lower temps, increased unfermentables from caramelization, or a combination.

Next weekend I'm starting a series (probably will go for a couple years, doing this every 3 months or so), of English SMaSH partigyle barley wines/bitters with WLP007. Per braukaiser's calculator, I should be able to get roughly 5 gallons of 1.090 barley wine and 5 gallons 1.040 bitter from a half sack of grain for each of these batches. First up: Golden Promise and Bramling Cross!

At the risk of heresy, has anyone ever done a "cheater" SMaSH with a clean bittering charge of warrior or magnum, and then used the real flavor hop for the rest of the brew? I'm thinking about trying a MO/AM cheater smash with warrior for bittering. My thinking is that with the high alpha content, I can use much less hops and get the same about of bittering.

At the risk of heresy, has anyone ever done a "cheater" SMaSH with a clean bittering charge of warrior or magnum, and then used the real flavor hop for the rest of the brew? I'm thinking about trying a MO/AM cheater smash with warrior for bittering. My thinking is that with the high alpha content, I can use much less hops and get the same about of bittering.

Anything you dare try, is not a cheat.

Let's know how that works out.

The Morebeer single hop kit beers come with a bittering charge of magnum I believe and then feature the "experiment" hop as a late addition(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

at the risk of heresy, has anyone ever done a "cheater" smash with a clean bittering charge of warrior or magnum, and then used the real flavor hop for the rest of the brew? I'm thinking about trying a mo/am cheater smash with warrior for bittering. My thinking is that with the high alpha content, i can use much less hops and get the same about of bittering.

am?

11 lbs Maris Otter
4 oz of Mosaic hops (1 oz at 60, 1 oz at flameout, and 2 oz dry-hop)
Mash at 152 for 60
Do a 20-minute hopstand for good measure

Enjoy :mug:

Yeah I do a really similar beer to this ^ and it's way tasty.

I've got a M.O. / Columbus SMaSH IPA on tap right now that's probably my favorite though. between the boil and the dry hop I think I had about 9oz total. 13lbs of M.O. and US-05. Worked out really nice. Amazing the color you can get from just M.O.

11 lbs Maris Otter

4 oz of Mosaic hops (1 oz at 60, 1 oz at flameout, and 2 oz dry-hop)

Mash at 152 for 60

Do a 20-minute hopstand for good measure

Enjoy :mug:

We made almost this exact recipe (except cheated with Columbus for bittering) and it was the best beer we've made in our 1.5 years of brewing. That is, until we made the second version which added a small amount of crystal malt and a bunch more Columbus in late additions. Holy moly I love mosaic!

15 lbs American. 2 row and 2 ounces Zythos hops.

This weekend is marris otter to learn about the malt flavor.

I just tried the first bottle of my Munich/Spalter Select. I liked the previous Munich/Tettnanger a little bit more, but I'll wait how the Spalter ages, it just finished carbonating and could use some more conditioning time.

I need to keep a steady supply of this stuff - the first sip of a 100% Munich Ale is a bit weird, but after half a pint I just want more. Both were FWH only, btw.

I did a Vienna/Mt. Hood that turned out really nice. Very popular amongst the BMC crowd as well as those who enjoy blonde ales.

I just tried the first bottle of my Munich/Spalter Select. I liked the previous Munich/Tettnanger a little bit more, but I'll wait how the Spalter ages, it just finished carbonating and could use some more conditioning time.

I need to keep a steady supply of this stuff - the first sip of a 100% Munich Ale is a bit weird, but after half a pint I just want more. Both were FWH only, btw.

That sounds good. I love tettnang and I need to try Munich malt. Recipe?

There isn't really much of a recipe, I was just winging it. 3kg of Munich malt, no sparge, ~30g Tettnang in FVW, 60 minute boil, 13°P OG, no chill, US-05 for 10L of finished beer.

The follow up brew with Spalter Select was done with 4.5kg malt, batch sparged, 13°P OG, 60g Spalter Select and Nottingham yeast for 20L.

Would using all pale 2-row for the malt be bad? Seems like there are very few SMaSH recipes out there that use pale 2-row. Pilsner, vienna, munich, and maris otter seem most common for the malt.

Depends on the purpose of the recipe. If you're really trying to figure out the flavor and aroma of a particular hop, then two row would allow the hops to shine over the malt.

Would using all pale 2-row for the malt be bad? Seems like there are very few SMaSH recipes out there that use pale 2-row. Pilsner, vienna, munich, and maris otter seem most common for the malt.

Standard 2-row could work, but the point of a SMASH is really to determine the flavors imparted by the malt and hop so you can design beers better. standard 2row is the mildest, least flavor contributer of the base grains. Most APAs are 2row, a little crystal/caramel and hops.

First SMaSH and first hop bursting

7 lbs Maris Otter
1.5oz Apollo (18.7%) - 0.25oz hop burst at startign at 20 every 5 minutes
then .5oz at flameout
1oz dry hop 10 days in primary, no secondary

OG 1.054, 48 IBUs

US-05. 3. 5 gallons into fermenter

Came out really nice

I'm planning to split 10 gallons in two. Tell me what you think:

100% Vienna or MO to 1.054
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 20
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 10
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace at 0
2oz Mosiac or Sorachi Ace dry hop

One half gets WY1098, other WY3711

I'm questioning my malt choice and my hop choice. What would you recommend?

I just kegged a MO/cascade smash. Sample was very good. This was simply supposed to be a test batch for my new equipment setup, but I might end up brewing it again.

Back