Beligian + Lager yeast recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
The online HBS I use has a pretty good special on White Labs at the moment so I thought I'd try a couple of new strains. I repitch every batch from slurry so buying yeast is an occasional thing for me.

Wondering if people could recommend some versatile stains for lagers and Belgian beers.

Belgians:
Haven't brewed any of these before but would like to try a Dubbel and blonde initially, maybe a Quad later on. Looks like either WLP500 / 530 would work for these. Does anyone have a preference either way? I was leaning towards the 500 but I really haven't tasted that many Belgian ales so I'm not sure what I like.

Lager:
I have been using Saflager 34/70 and have found it fine so far. I have been using it for Pilsners, Helles, Marzens, Schwarzbiers and recently a doppelbock.

Am I fine sticking with the dry yeast, or would it be worth switching to something like WLP830 German lager? Or WLP833 German bock lager for the occasional bock?

S-189 works great in bock. The second highest score I ever received was a helles bock fermented with it.

I do not hrew lagers so I cannot help there.

Of the two Belgian strains you mentioned, I prefer the 530. I find the 500 a little too fruity. If you want a good idea of what they are like the 500 is the Chimay strain, the 530 is the Westmalle strain. Pick up a bottle those brews and taste them.

German Lager is a great strain of yeast. I've got some German Pils that have won ribbons using that yeast. It attenuates well and leaves good malt character.

For Belgians I really like Omega's Belgian A. I did a low gravity Belgian pale with and then I racked a on top that yeast cake. The quad turned out great.

I ended up getting the WLP500, will see what happens. I haven't tasted a lot of Belgians so I don't really know what I'm looking for but this shows up in enough recipes that it must be ok.

Thanks for the replies.

Back