Beer Pouring Too Fast - Solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitzy

Reaction score
Hey HBT Geniuses!

I am loving my beers on tap right now. Except for one problem...

I jacked up the PSI on my Common to 20 (at 40 f) the other day, and meant to do so for about 24 hours. Forgot about it, and it was on for 48 hours. Now the beer is pouring way too fast, even though I off gassed and set it to serving pressure. I even dropped it below for a day to try and let it simmer down, but to no avail.

Help! Am I missing something, or does it just need time?

Cheers!
Fitzy

It's probably still way overcarbed. You'll have to turn off the gas to that keg and vent it multiple times over a period of a couple days to get it back down to where it should be.

While it is probably still overcarbed, another issue could be short serving lines that would greatly exacerbate the fast pour. Is that a possibility? I found that a good rule of thumb for home kegerators is that 10-12 feet of line for an average carbonation works well. For more highly carbed beers, 15' of line isn't too long, and for soda, often 25'-30' of line is needed. These are generic amounts, for temperatures at 40 degrees or so, but you can see the line length needs to be longer and longer for higher carbed beers and sodas!

I'm extremely new to kegging so take that for what it's worth. I did come across a post by pjj2ba inserting a mixer nozzle in the dip tube which reduced foam on short beer lines. I know that's not the problem you're having but by inserting the mixer nozzle also reduced the pour speed without having to worry about different line lengths. You can read the thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Good though but it is running through 11' of line.

Does it just need time on a lower pressure to carb back to a normal standard?

Good though but it is running through 11' of line.

Does it just need time on a lower pressure to carb back to a normal standard?

You do need to verify the ID of the tubing, the lengths that are being suggested would be for 3/16ID tubing, if your lines are actually 1/4ID then you would need much longer lines

Sent from the Commune

You do need to verify the ID of the tubing, the lengths that are being suggested would be for 3/16ID tubing, if your lines are actually 1/4ID then you would need much longer lines

Sent from the Commune

Yep - my lines are 3/16. I think I'll go the way that BigFloyd suggested. and vent it over a few days. Hopefully it calms it down!

Thanks Everyone! As per usual, you get the homebrew wheels spinning in my brain. Should renamed the Common to something like "HBT Salvation"

Back