Beer equipment misuse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshann19

Reaction score
What is the most un beer related thing you have done with your beer equipment?

The other day I used my auto siphon to empty my plugged dishwasher. Any other creative uses?

I use my wort chiller pump to pump hot water to defrost my mini fridge, sure beats letting it sit out all day in the driveway

I use my bottling bucket to quick thaw frozen meats (fill with cool water, and throw in vac/cryo sealed meat from freezer. Thawed in very little time at all), and also use it to hoard water when there are nasty storms.

haha... I used a bucket to hold hot water in when the complex didn't have hot water one morning

I'm currently using my spare bottling bucket and a fermenter bucket to add water to my waterbed. The fermenter carries warm water from the bathtub to be poured into the bottling bucket set on a high stool. The spigot and tubing means I can control how much I fill it and can shut it off while watching the level in the waterbed.

I made popcorn in my kettle for a cub scout pack meeting.

Wow, you guys are thinking out of the box. I had no idea the versatility of the equipment.

I've done a few crab leg boils with my BK. Guests (who don't realize it's a BK) always ask me why I need a dial thermometer on a boil pot when everyone knows the water will boil when it gets to 212.

I've made Chili in my 10 gallon brew pot. Big tailgate party before a football game. I figured this would be the easiest way to get 50 or so people a solid meal.

I've made Chili in my 10 gallon brew pot. Big tailgate party before a football game. I figured this would be the easiest way to get 50 or so people a solid meal.

Same here. Was a little worried it would somehow affected my beer, but never did. I've upgraded my boil pot since then though.

Back when I used an 8 gallon tamale pot as a BK I would buy and steam crabs legs with it.

I make spaghetti sauce (yes, large amounts) in my BK, but you're 100X more likely to find me using non-beer equipment for brewing.

I make large quantities of veggie stock in the brew kettle, using the bazooka tube to strain and spigot to fill quart jars, which I then pressure-can.

Original 2 gallon pot that I used for extract brewing makes an awesome large spaghetti pot. Carboys and corny kegs store water when Hurricanes threaten.

I make spaghetti sauce (yes, large amounts) in my BK, but you're 100X more likely to find me using non-beer equipment for brewing.

I did the opposite. I took the pot I had been making pasta sauce in and then made beer in it. I'm doing it again today. :ban:

I've thought about getting a bunch of Pyrodex or something and turning a corny into a homemade "dambuster" someday, but have yet to do so. :D

My SWMBO uses my Blichmann all the time for non-pressure canning..

142413d1376759956-blichmann-burner-forumrunner_20130817_131908.jpg

RM-MN said:
I'm currently using my spare bottling bucket and a fermenter bucket to add water to my waterbed. The fermenter carries warm water from the bathtub to be poured into the bottling bucket set on a high stool. The spigot and tubing means I can control how much I fill it and can shut it off while watching the level in the waterbed.

Dude! You must own the very last waterbed lol

Latest posts

Back