Bay 2 Breakers in San Francisco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
http://www.ingbaytobreakers.com/
Has anyone done this event and is familiar with the rules? I wanted to brew a keg of beer so we could drink that as we walked through the streets of SF. But I heard recently they have been taking kegs away from people. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry, I dont know the specifics but I have a buddy who lives in SF and does it every year...what I would do, is use a shopping cart and some blankets to cover up the homebrew keg. And I heard dixie cups are a must that way the cops have no probable cause to search you and if the blanket obstructs the the keg then the same thing applies.
-Jefe-

I think you'd have better luck acquiring a few growlers from some brewpubs and filling those up, that way if they're confiscated you're not out a keg...

Last time I ran B2B was a good 5 years ago, but the kegs were pretty obvious and numerous.

Granted, there was even more nude old man ass, but that's a different thread...

Hahaha yeah, that's San Francisco for you. I read that one float had 27 kegs on it once but they are enforcing stricter rules now.

There is also a pretty good chance that they are going to modify the rules this year too, like only allowing floats on the stretch between the Western Addition and GGP to keep the incredible mess confined and easier to clean up.

Before they banned kegs though it was apparently pretty easy to make some money after the race if you had a truck that handle all the discarded kegs that people didn't want to carry back across the peninsula from wherever they went dry.

I did it two years ago with some friends and we had a keg. Don't know if rules have changed since then, though. But my guess is that if it's well covered-up and you walk in the middle of the crowd it'd be pretty hard to spot.

And yeah, the gazillions of nude peoples are usually kind of gross.

I imagine it is less fun for the people left with piss-soaked and trash-filled front yards the day after.

I live 2 blocks from the course and have participated in the race and floats for years.

I think the $250 fee for floats is a good idea, to pay for the porta-potties & clean-up. You get wristbands for all the float participants, at a cost that is way less than the usual cost to register.
BUT I am 100% against the no-keg policy.

more info:
http://www.savebay2breakers.org/blog/

I live less than a block from the course. I can verify that SFPD will inspect any floats and confiscate any kegs they find. However, they won't do a thing to you no matter how drunk or naked you are, as long as you don't have a keg.

Back