Banana's Foster Mead - recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
I've been brewing for 5+ years but have only done one mead - a raspberry/chipotle a couple years ago which was/is delicious.

Splitting some honey with some folks in my brew club soon and we were kicking around flavor ideas and my wife really latched on to Banana's Foster after someone said they had tried a commercial example that was awesome.

I have no freaking idea where to even start on something like this other than I need to incorporate bananas or banana water for flavoring. Honey will just be local wildflower. Google searches have turned up very little help and I need a lot!

Please post ideas for this and help me out.

Sorry, I have no idea what a banana foster is but to make a reasonable wine (or mead) from bananas you need to use fruit that is so ripe the skins are black and the fruit is almost liquid. Use some peel too. I have made banana wine and that takes about 10 lbs of fruit per gallon. With mead you might use less. Place the fruit in a bag and boil the bananas in water to extract the flavors and the sugars. Spoiler alert: the must looks like sludge and you need to have a great deal of faith in your wine making ability to imagine that this mud bath will clear bright. I would transfer the bagged fruit to the primary and allow the yeast and alcohol to extract more of the flavor during active fermentation. Banana wine does NOT taste like banana. Tastes more like a hock. And the banana adds good mouthfeel.

Back