Back sweetening questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineapple

Reaction score
After doing my first fermentation, I back sweetened my blueberry lemon mead and did not add sorbate or Camden and it re fermented, I let it ride out the re fermentation. Now 10 days later, I added a bit more honey and added the sorbate and camden. How long should I wait till I rack it and allow it to clear?

I have wanted to do a blueberry lemon as well. I liked the idea of it after trying the pie made by the wife of a friend. Would you share your recipe?

Usually people add the stabilizers, then wait at least few days, then add in the honey.

But, if you go a week or so without any renewed fermentation (watch your gravity, not your airlock bubbles), you're probably good to go.

I add the camden tablet and wait 24 to 48 hours then back sweeten then watch to make sure additional fermentation is not happening.

If you added the honey at the same time as the stabilizers, that will ferment out.

The stabilizers only work with a finished fermentation, once the mead is clear and no longer dropping any lees. There needs to be no lees on the bottom, also, as sorbate only inhibits yeast reproduction and doesn't stop fermentation.

Since there are hundreds of billions of yeast in an active fermentation, adding sorbate (which stops yeast reproduction) won't do anything.

Back