Back sweeten vs high SG in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coboll

Reaction score
Is it better to start with a higher specific gravity or back sweeten when finishing wine.

I have a dry .990 plum wine aging and will probably need to back sweeten to make it paletable.

My apple wine started at 1.100 and I'm not sure if my yeast can handle all that sugar when done fermenting. It's in the primary.

I'm curious how the different sweetness tastes when it's done?

I will be starting a grape wine soon and I'm not sure if I should start out with a high SG or try to back sweeten in the end.

I'm new to winemaking and have alot of wines going and alot of questions.

:ban:

My preference is to choose the ABV and start with the correct SG, then stabilize the wine afterwards and sweeten to taste.

There are a couple of issues with starting with a high SG. Once is that many wine yeast strains can easily go to 18% in a nutrient rich fermentation, so you may have to go to 18%+ to get the wine to remain sweet in the end. Conversely, a high SG may create some stress on the yeast, and they might stall out prematurely, creating instead a way-too-sweet 12% ABV wine.

It's hard to predict which way a fermentation will go and so it's not a dependable way to make a sweet wine.

I started my apple wine at 1.100 and the fermenting seems sluggish but it's early only 3 days. It's Cotes de Blanc and I activated it first. Hoping it will go ok in the primary. What is the characteristics of Cotes de Blanc. The supply store recommended it.

from Jackkeller.net (one of my favorite winemaking sources):
Côte des Blancs : Formerly known as Epernay 2, this is another slow fermenting, very low foaming and low flocculating yeast tolerant of low temperatures. It tends to bring out floral and fruity qualities in wines and can be useful in both grape--especially fruity German style whites-- and non-grape wines--such as peach or raspberry--where a bouquet is especially desired. This yeast will not push alcohol production over 13% in a cool fermentation but has a range of 12-14%.

Thanks Yooper, you're my go to source with all my questions. I have all this extra fruit this year from apple and plum trees in the backyard and friends concord grapes. I thought I would start making wine since I have 100 pints of jam from the same trees. My husband and I drink wine every night with Dinner so why not make it. I just hope all this effort and attention to detail pays off with good tasting wine. I'm really enjoying the process!

I can't wait for the fruits of my labor, well, my husband's too, he picked all the fruit and had bee stings from it.

Back