Augustiner Lager Yeast Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a thread on another forum that suggests Wyeast 2352-PC Munich Lager II Yeast is the same strain that BSI lists as Augustiner. Problem is it's a private collection strain, so they only release it periodically. Maybe someone banked some and is willing to share.

I've had good results using WLP860, but it's seasonal only (I've been keeping mine alive for year now). I'm drinking a Helles made with WLP835 Lager X right now and it's a bit drier than 860, but still good.

I've had good results using WLP860, but it's seasonal only (I've been keeping mine alive for year now). I'm drinking a Helles made with WLP835 Lager X right now and it's a bit drier than 860, but still good.

My LHBS had the WLP860 so I picked it up. I plan to do a d-rest but am unsure what temperature would work for this stain. Do you perform a d-rest?

My LHBS had the WLP860 so I picked it up. I plan to do a d-rest but am unsure what temperature would work for this stain. Do you perform a d-rest?

I've been using the quick lager method and it works well (but really does need a 7-10 day d rest). I start at 50 and go but to 65 after 5 days (5 degrees per day so it gets to 65 at day 8). Then hold for 7-10 days and drop to 35 at 5 degrees per day. Hold for a week, gelatin, then carbonate.

Edit: oh and start off with lots of yeast. At least a 1.5 pitch rate.

I just finished making a starter of 860 for a Helles next weekend. I'm making 8 gallons of wort to be split between 860 and 835 (835 starter going right now).

Latest posts

Back