Arkansas Black?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with making a single varietal cider from Arkansas Black apples? I finally found a source for these apples just a couple days ago, I've heard that they make a great cider, but haven't ever tasted a cider made from them. I did get a few apples to taste out of hand, but honestly, I ain't impressed with them. I was expecting more acid & more tannin, maybe I just got my expectations up a little higher than I should've, I don't know; that's why I'm asking you. I'd like more info about these apples before I make a purchase, cuz they ain't cheap.
Regards, GF.

I cant add anything here (no experience with AB) but I'm curious. I do believe it is popular as a base type apple because it ripens so late and coincides with the traditional hard cider apples to be blended with. All by itself? I cant believe it would be un-drinkable.

Many years ago I would get Arkansas black apples at a farmers market in the Atlanta Ga. area. It was my favorite eating apple.
Never saw that variety again when I moved away until last year, when I bought a half bushel in Lancaster PA. The flavor was just Ok, not as good as I remembered. I juiced some and fermented it and I'd didn't think it was anything special.
But the apples you can get will probably be different than what I get around here.
I've heard Arkansas Black does better (flavor wise) in a warm area.
So maybe its worth trying.

I have eaten a peck of Arkansas Black apples, but unfortunately never juiced or fermented any. I think they would be excellent in cider. When properly ripened, they have excellent flavor and just a very mild, subtle but noticeable tannin (to where you still enjoy eating them). I wish I could make a cider of them. Someday I should try.

I grew up in North West Arkansas in the early 70's and lived close to an amazing commercial orchard that made and sold cider on location, along with other apple related items. The cider they produced was absolutely the best I have ever tasted..... As were their Apple Dumplings!!!!! I wish I could get my hands on 5 gallons of their cider to ferment....

Back