Are hipsters ruining craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...& to think hipster,or aging hipster used to be a reference to a hippy,or aging hippy. My wife & I included in the historical connotation of the word. Now,idkwtf?:drunk: Excuse me while I drink some more Ranger IPA...

...& to think hipster,or aging hipster used to be a reference to a hippy,or aging hippy. My wife & I included in the historical connotaion of the word. Now,idkwtf?:drunk: Excuse me while I drink some more Ranger IPA...

they have common grounds: terrible music

Hipsters don't bother me much. We were all obnoxious at some point. The video was funny though.

I think most of you are just referencing people who try too hard. There's nothing wrong with mustaches, tattoos, vegetarian food, or good beer. So, it's not about the "hipster" style per say, it's just those folks who are into it just to be cool. Same is true for hippies, punks, etc. Style isn't a bad thing; it makes life interesting. It just when there's no balance or substance behind it that it grates on peoples' nerves.

Except for rednecks... I can't stand rednecks. :)

Great video. Funny this conversation has gone full circle. I'm classified by others as a hipster. Doesn't help I live in hipsterville USA. I love Dragnet. They talk about hipsters. I wish shows today would talk about society and offer good advice.

Had a foot of snow last week first beer to sell out in the supermarket. PBR.

Blue blooded hipsters can be spotted by the natural bohemian.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's wrong with PBR? I think it's on the high side of commercial beer, which I still drink on a pretty regular basis.

I'm certainly not going to stop because hipsters or punks or hippies (me) or anybody else claims it.

I prefer my beer but I just can't seem to keep up.
That's interesting. When I was growing up, beers like PBR and Natty Light were the cheaper beers that people would buy when they couldn't afford the regular BMC. Most of the time it was highschool and college kids.

On the East Coast I find that Yuengling is a pretty popular one that's considered on the "high side." I suppose it all depends where/when you lived. I have noticed that PBR has become popular though because I'm seeing it in movies, TV shows, and songs. I don't remember any ad placements when I was a kid.

For the longest time,Pabst was THE beer around Terrahaute,Indiana. Summer Keggers were common with bbq & baseball.

It's just a trend like any other. Soon they'll come up with a new name to identify themselves as and it will be 'the in thing' to bag on hipsters and identify with the new term. SSDD

The only thing I don't get is doing something ironically. You're still doing it- doesn't make it cool because you perceive it differently than the rest of the world. The rest is trendy BS that we've all fallen prey to in some way, shape, or form.

I have been called a music hipster many times. Simply because I am in the industry and listen to artists/bands before they become mainstream. Good music is good music no matter the genre.

Good beer is good beer, no matter who brewed it or where it came from. Just cause one person may not like the style you like, doesn't make their style of choice "bad".

I have been called a music hipster many times. Simply because I am in the industry and listen to artists/bands before they become mainstream. Good music is good music no matter the genre.

Good beer is good beer, no matter who brewed it or where it came from. Just cause one person may not like the style you like, doesn't make their style of choice "bad".

the true problem with the hipsters liking something is once they move on, which is fast, the over expanded market implodes and is almost ruined.

hair metal

beanie babies

pet rocks

and the big industries that make the bland beers will still be there and will still be strong, Plus will have validated their existence because they are still strong.
And face it, as the no longer hip industry starts to fail left and right it gets a bad name.

try to sell last years hip product you paid a premium to get the day it was released and find it is worth less than nothing.
the best thing that can happen is you grow slowly, fast explosive growth means fast explosive loss when things settle out

Is there a category for people that like all types of beer? I enjoy "lite" beers and love craft beers. The only time I truly did not enjoy a beer I drank was when I was given a Shorts Brewing Company peppercorn beer. It just was not for me. However with the increase in craft beer loving hipsters, I have noticed an increase in liquor stores and gas stations that carry craft beer.

In Michigan at least, the new thing is a create your own six pack of Michigan based beers. I find these at Krogers, CVS, gas stations, almost every where I go now that sells craft beer. So if anything Hipsters are an annoying craft beer promoter...

I find some hipster annoying and others funny to laugh at (sometimes with). If they are completely wrong and open to learning the truth on a subject I am willing to help.

Are they ruining craft beer? I don't think so. The goofy ones are probably giving craft beer drinks a bad image though.

Lucky you,you still Have Krogers. I'd have to go there,or Cinci to get to one now. And we may be a couple of aging hypsters (Read hippy here),but we's got some smarts 'round heya...;)

haha love all of this. I didn't mean to accuse you all of hating hipsters like you would hate someone beating your significant other. I meant it in the sense that "most" people always go straight to what they don't like about hipsters or this or that. And its ok to hate hispters, no judgement here. I hate a lot of groups of people including normal everyday good old boring people like all of YOU.

Oh also to actually answer the OPs question, I dont think hipster are ruining craft beer at all. In fact they are quite a big driving force in its growing popularity and success to the industry as a whole. There is not much ruining craft beer at all except maybe a few state and federal laws that could be changed to help growth the industry including permitting, limits on specific aspects of beer, transportation, etc etc...but thats a whole notha post.

Also also - that video is hilarious.

So, Hipsters, Goth Chics, Preps, etc., are all cultural cliques. If a random guy/girl likes craft beer and Mumford & Sons, no big deal. However, it is when people follow these trends TO be part of a group of others where it all starts to go down hill.

I had a girl get pissed when I started talking about hipsters, and she didn't "identify" with any group (I don't either), but then everything she listed as liking or doing would be considered part of the "Hipster" movement.

I've been brewing on and off for almost 20 years. Do I like some music classified as Hipster? Yes. Do I like some vintage stuff? Yes. BUT, I don't think men that aren't heroin addicts or rock band super stars should wear skinny jeans, either.

Here is an article about beards and hipsters and references homebrewing in it...although briefly. http://nickidaniels.com/2014/01/06/beardedhipsters/

Follow a crowd of people doing things to be cool...you will be labeled. Follow the beat of your own drum and you'll be labeled as well...unique!

what if hipsters like what they like because they like it? someones gotta defends these people!

I'm sure some of them do. But when a group of "nonconformists" start looking exactly the same, wearing the same clothes, doing the same things with their facial hair, drinking the same beer, listening to the same music, etc. it's fair to say that a lot of them are actually conforming to the group. Something starts out as original that a few people do and eventually it starts to look like a uniform for all the people copying it. It's the same with every single trend. I've found it's usually the "anti-trend" people who end up conforming to a group more than any others.

Well I for one would like to thank hipsters in earnest. As a direct result of hipsters I now have better access to farmers markets with more craft products, grass feed cheeses, organic honey, stone ground chocolate, coffee that's to die for, a resurgence of art in once crappy urban areas. More co-ops. Too old to be one but I certainly don't have a problem with them. Their shopping habits help bring awareness to issues that have merit like re using and recycling, energy conservation, non gmo foods etc; Who would deny they help support the craft brew industry. Thanks in part to hipsters a whole foods opened up near me Yay! I'm all in for anyone that makes change rather than wishes or prays for it. I'm going to have to give hipsters a thumbs up.

Why is it when they get old stuff from a store it's vintage but when I pick up old stuff off the side of the road it's called junk

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I for one would like to thank hipsters in earnest. As a direct result of hipsters I now have better access to farmers markets with more craft products, grass feed cheeses, organic honey, stone ground chocolate, coffee that's to die for, a resurgence of art in once crappy urban areas. More co-ops. Too old to be one but I certainly don't have a problem with them. Their shopping habits help bring awareness to issues that have merit like re using and recycling, energy conservation, non gmo foods etc; Who would deny they help support the craft brew industry. Thanks in part to hipsters a whole foods opened up near me Yay! I'm all in for anyone that makes change rather than wishes or prays for it. I'm going to have to give hipsters a thumbs up.

Yes, I'm all for change. I'm glad that there are those things you mention, but as some of the others brought up, once these things become "non-cool", then the ability to sustain them will drop off. All of that stuff you mentioned is at a financial and social premium, too.

Craft beer is great and the price isn't that much more (in a bar) comparative to other beer, BUT, that coffee, chocolate, etc., you elude to, isn't accessible to the common person. Until non-gmo is mandated by government, it won't affect those who really would benefit from it the most. Recycling and energy conservation has been a topic of discussion for over 20 years, so I'm not sure how hipsters brought "awareness" to it.

Don't get me started on art, etc. I was just at the Museum of Contemporary Art yesterday, and it appears that you can practically take a dump on a painted piece of cardboard and call it "art"...as long as you have a cool story to go with it. Not everyone is an artist...just like not everyone who has a digital SLR is a photographer.

I digress... Point is...people who conform to groups and do things just because everyone else is doing it or to impress others become profoundly annoying. Period.

I just invested 25 minutes reading every post here better than watching another Pawn Stars rerun. I too am glad good beer is now readily available many places. And I also laugh when some guy says his beer is very sessionable or has good mouthfeel, etc,etc!

Yes, I'm all for change. I'm glad that there are those things you mention, but as some of the others brought up, once these things become "non-cool", then the ability to sustain them will drop off. All of that stuff you mentioned is at a financial and social premium, too.

Craft beer is great and the price isn't that much more (in a bar) comparative to other beer, BUT, that coffee, chocolate, etc., you elude to, isn't accessible to the common person. Until non-gmo is mandated by government, it won't affect those who really would benefit from it the most. Recycling and energy conservation has been a topic of discussion for over 20 years, so I'm not sure how hipsters brought "awareness" to it.

Don't get me started on art, etc. I was just at the Museum of Contemporary Art yesterday, and it appears that you can practically take a dump on a painted piece of cardboard and call it "art"...as long as you have a cool story to go with it. Not everyone is an artist...just like not everyone who has a digital SLR is a photographer.

I digress... Point is...people who conform to groups and do things just because everyone else is doing it or to impress others become profoundly annoying. Period.

I said they help bring awareness, I didn't credit them for the entire recycling movement. But seriously, I vehemently disagree. Every era has their own movement that expresses and rebels against the era behind them. My dad had his, I had mine, my daughter has hers. I also disagree that these changes magically disappear when they are deemed not cool and somehow lead to collapse. What does cause failure in positive movements is apathy. If everyone on your block could give a **** if he recycles then you have failure and your local recycling facility may have to close. Some people choose to spend extra to support what they believe in so that products and people doing what they deem as positive are able to flourish. As for "nonconformist" forming a subculture, people naturally seek out people who share similar beliefs and interests. The red hat ladies ALL dress in red & purple because of a Maya Angelou poem that speaks about the freedom to be as individual as you like. Yet they assimilate and dress alike. Ironic, but this is our nature. Example; you won't find someone like me hanging out with someone that flys the rebel flag, I'm from Chicago, practically the heart of the civil rights movement. BTW I am a normal everyday hard working individual, not wealthy so I'll finish by saying ... the things I mentioned are indeed accessible to regular people. It's simply a matter of choice. Without the exposure you may never have the opportunity. :fro:

Example; you won't find someone like me hanging out with someone that flys the rebel flag, I'm from Chicago, practically the heart of the civil rights movement.

Not all people who like the rebel flag, including myself, do so for racial reasons. It meant many things to different people during the Civil War. For many it was to protect slavery, for others it was against the encroachment of the federal government, others, pride in being southern. Today for I would say the vast majority of us it is southern pride.

Also, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor and a very conservative one at that. I have friends who are atheists who where shirts that say so and have the bumper stickers. You cannot get more polar opposite about the thing that is most important to me in this life. Guess what, we hang out and have a beer together. I don't have to agree with them, or them with me, in order to talk to them.

I want to start off by letting you know I am not a hipster by ANY means, however I hate judgmental people so I feel its necessary to say this:

Everything you say about hipsters is true for non hipsters as well. In fact, more often than not I can fool a non hipster into thinking they like bud light rather than a hipster. And its funny too because people stereotype hipster as liking PBR but so does millions of other people who drink beer...this makes no sense to me. We don't focus on hating people who like those big IPAs, yet everyone just loves to state the fact that hipsters love PBR (for no apparent reason that I can see, its not like they are walking around announcing they LOVE PBR, if you think that than I doubt you know any hipsters personally).

Its just as easy if not EASIER to make an IPA or a big stout than it is to make something like a PBR. if you don't believe me, go and try to clone PBR.

Ok, please continue your hate as I enjoy reading it all <3
Stfu you hipster

Back