Are hipsters ruining craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBV7yKWhWE

Relax it is a joke. But, I do feel there is truth to it. I know some people who fit into this category who believe big beer, including Sierra Navada, = bad and small beer, smaller the better, = good. Yet, they don't know a thing about beer or can taste a difference between them. It is fun to give them an Amberbock or something like it and after they say they like it tell them what it is. It is fun to see them get pissed off.:mug:

I found that one like last week. So exagerrated it was funny. I guess it does make some people sound weird that don't really know their stuff. Then we walk in...:drunk:

Fun story. Last weekend during the Superbowl at my place I went out to the garage and filled a few sample glasses.

"Hey guys, give this a try!"
"Wow, what is this? This is really really good! Is this one of yours?"
"Nope. It's Budweiser."

They refused to believe me until I showed them the bottle and poured them another one.

The looks on their faces when they realized they actually enjoyed Bud was priceless. Haha. (NOTE: this does NOT work with "lite" beer...doesn't taste that great)

Fun story. Last weekend during the Superbowl at my place I went out the garage and filled a few sample glasses.

"Nope. It's Budweiser."

They refused to believe me until I showed them the bottle and poured them another one.

The looks on their faces when they realized they actually enjoyed Bud was priceless. Haha. (NOTE: this does NOT work with "lite" beer...doesn't taste that great)
I have such a love affair with budweiser. Much like an affair, I tend to hide our love when in public.

I went to a beer festival this weekend and I heard in line behind me a guy talking about how "cask conditioned" beer lasts way longer than a regular keg. I thought to myself "got CO2?" like the milk commercial.

They had ipa's in casks there, granted they had drippy ice bags on top. I was basically drinking flat beer, and the hipsters were drinking it up like it was gold. There again I thought to myself "too lazy for CO2 lines huh"...

But it's CRAFT dude!!!:D

I went to a beer festival this weekend and I heard in line behind me a guy talking about how "cask conditioned" beer lasts way longer than a regular keg. I thought to myself "got CO2?" like the milk commercial.

They had ipa's in casks there, granted they had drippy ice bags on top. I was basically drinking flat beer, and the hipsters were drinking it up like it was gold. There again I thought to myself "too lazy for CO2 lines huh"...

But it's CRAFT dude!!!:D

A proper pulled beer is hard to beat, (can't get enough of it when I'm in the UK) but contrary, most do NOT keep, you need to drink them young

Fun story. Last weekend during the Superbowl at my place I went out the garage and filled a few sample glasses.

"Nope. It's Budweiser."

I think you may be able to fool them into thinking a hot dog is beef Wellington.

I was watching Hell's Kitchen once,& Ramsey fooled the kiddies into thinking he'd made them faugra(SP?)...it was,but made from hotdogs!

I want to start off by letting you know I am not a hipster by ANY means, however I hate judgmental people so I feel its necessary to say this:

Everything you say about hipsters is true for non hipsters as well. In fact, more often than not I can fool a non hipster into thinking they like bud light rather than a hipster. And its funny too because people stereotype hipster as liking PBR but so does millions of other people who drink beer...this makes no sense to me. We don't focus on hating people who like those big IPAs, yet everyone just loves to state the fact that hipsters love PBR (for no apparent reason that I can see, its not like they are walking around announcing they LOVE PBR, if you think that than I doubt you know any hipsters personally).

Its just as easy if not EASIER to make an IPA or a big stout than it is to make something like a PBR. if you don't believe me, go and try to clone PBR.

Ok, please continue your hate as I enjoy reading it all <3

I want to start off by letting you know I am not a hipster by ANY means, however I hate judgmental people so I feel its necessary to say this:

Everything you say about hipsters is true for non hipsters as well. In fact, more often than not I can fool a non hipster into thinking they like bud light rather than a hipster. And its funny too because people stereotype hipster as liking PBR but so does millions of other people who drink beer...this makes no sense to me. We don't focus on hating people who like those big IPAs, yet everyone just loves to state the fact that hipsters love PBR (for no apparent reason that I can see, its not like they are walking around announcing they LOVE PBR, if you think that than I doubt you know any hipsters personally).

Its just as easy if not EASIER to make an IPA or a big stout than it is to make something like a PBR. if you don't believe me, go and try to clone PBR.

Ok, please continue your hate as I enjoy reading it all <3
I don't think anyone here hates hipsters, at least I know that I don't. We all need tougher skin. There was a comment here about a guy being ashamed for knowing about a country song and redneck jokes. Guess what, I am a redneck and country is my favorite. And guess what, it did not bother me a bit, I took it as a joke. In fact I can laugh at myself too.

In a recent interview the director of Saturday Night Live was asked why they make fun of Republicans way more than Democrats. He answer was that Republicans can laugh at themselves and Liberals just get their noses bent out of shape and get mad. Maybe the Republicans are right again.....

...yet everyone just loves to state the fact that hipsters love PBR (for no apparent reason that I can see, its not like they are walking around announcing they LOVE PBR, if you think that than I doubt you know any hipsters personally).

I don't know any hipsters personally and I am sorry that I have offended your hipster friends. Do a Google image search of "hipsters and PBR," then tell me why someone could maybe have connected the two.

It depends on where you are.

It's like any subculture, some hipsters are obnoxious as hell...some aren't...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Just had to say thanks for the OP because that video made me laugh pretty hard.

As for the hipster comments...its all in good fun. Just like the remarks about the country music.

Thanks again for the OP and video

Brewing your own beer is considered by many to be a "hipster tendency". Makes me laugh. And doppelgänger doppelbock is an amazing name.

Guys lets all stop hating the hipster, rednecks, or whatever else for liking he wrong beers and focus on hating the real enemy..... People who hate beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lol, I'm confused. I thought "hipsters" were low rise pants. I love my hipsters! And what's all this talk about Bud and PBR. I swear on my life that I'd spit out either in a blind tasting whoever that offends. When I want **** loads of rice, crap and pee water in my beer I'll move to China and that's happening ... never

What's wrong with PBR? I think it's on the high side of commercial beer, which I still drink on a pretty regular basis.

I'm certainly not going to stop because hipsters or punks or hippies (me) or anybody else claims it.

I prefer my beer but I just can't seem to keep up.

I don't need to hate hipsters, but I reserve the right to laugh at them.
I have earned that right.

I mean seriously....just watch and listen to them. It's hilarious.

Must have been someone very influential that coined the term hipster to have it become a danger to our way of life.

I have always believed tagging people was a gross misrepresentation throughout history.

Eh, no one can ruin something for you unless you let them.

Stuff that hipsters like is only really important to other hipsters, because they're the ones concerned about whether something is "played out", and whether they need to find some hip new thing that you haven't heard of to latch on to. Home brewing will exist long after hipsters at large get bored of it.

Just think of them like a force of nature -- a hurricane of annoyance that can, briefly, bring wider attention to some element of culture that they "discover" (usually something that has already existed for ages) until they move on when it is no longer hip and edgy. IMO the attention is mostly a good thing, aside from having to deal with listening to know-it-all hipsters talking about your favorite things or hobbies like a fashion accessory.

I don't hate hipsters, but I do enjoy jokes about them every now and then. Same goes for redneck jokes. Except the "You might be a redneck.." ones, as Jeff Foxworthy has murdered that joke, to the death and beyond.

Also, all this talk about PBR now makes me want one. I've never ever drank one in my life either.

Why do hipsters love ice?
Because ice was water before it was cool

Seriously though- I was called a hipster once. I thought you had to have one of them fancy, curly moustaches to qualify. Pay no mind- I laughed and drank my fancy beer. I'll wear whatever I like as well as drink whatever I like.

And to the OP- I love that video. Hilarious. I don't think Hipsters are ruining it.

Why do hipsters love ice?
Because ice was water before it was cool

Seriously though- I was called a hipster once. I thought you had to have one of them fancy, curly moustaches to qualify. Pay no mind- I laughed and drank my fancy beer. I'll wear whatever I like as well as drink whatever I like.

And to the OP- I love that video. Hilarious. I don't think Hipsters are ruining it.

I think you have to listen to Mumford and Sons and have a curly mustache

the whole hipster boogeyman thing is absurd

Hipster bogeymen would be ironic.

I bump into some every once in a while because my wife is an artist. The "urban samurai" clothes they were wearing a few years back was weird. And frankly riding fixies with the hills here is both stupid and dangerous.

I figure it's just another brand of yuppie. It's not about what you are doing or what you like. It's about what you are seen doing and seen liking.

The only dealings Iv had with one was at a party and he got mad that people were talking while he tried to read his book.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back