apricots in primary or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed an ale the other day and was wondering (by your experiences) if I should put some apricots in my primary after high krausen, or in the secondary. The recipe also calls for 2.5 ounces dry hops. Should I cut that down to an ounce to really pull out the flavor of the fruit?

if it were me, I would do both the apricots and hops in secondary. and I think you're on to something about cutting down the hops.

I think I'm going to try blanching the fruit and putting that in a sanitized grain bag, then after a week of that being in there I'll add the an ounce of hops for a week to prevent the flavor/aroma from being scrubbed out. Sound like a good idea?

Puree the apricots before pouring beer over them in secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I made an apricot blonde last year and couldn't find fresh apricots, so I used dried apricot and diced and boiled to sanitize, added to primary after about 2 weeks and fermentation was complete. Turned out excellent with great apricot flavor. Everyone loved it.

Puree the apricots before pouring beer over them in secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is what I would do. The alcohol will usually kill the small amount of bacteria on the fruit as long as you wash it and use a well-cleaned food processor or blender. And if you're worried, I guess you could put a little vodka in it for good measure.

Back