Applejack Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psywar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could lend me some thoughts and ideas.
A long time ago they used to make what they called Applejack whiskey and it consisted of Apples and Rye. I believe that was all that really went into it.

I wanted to create an Applejack beer. I was thinking of just using Apple Juice like I did for my Cyser that turned out really well instead of screwing with real apples plus I think it will be cheaper in the long run.

I was thinking about buying some Rye and then just mashing (x) amount of rye for probably 40-50 mins.

After the mash in I was going to bring this over to my boil kettle and boil it and add some brown sugar. Maybe boil it for like 20/30mins to dissolve the sugar.

I actually kind of wanted to play with this a bit as well and create an Applejack Cyser and possibly add some honey as well, but during secondary.

I also had a really fun idea of trying to make this in a Lager style. I thought it might come out cleaner and crisper this way.

Some questions I was wondering about:
How much rye do you think I should mash in with? I was thinking 3-5gallon batch.
If I went and made this a Lager what yeast would you recommend? I kind of wanted to try and make this a 10+% ABV beer.

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, apple beer or Graff is very drinkable in the summer. Never tried this with rye but with barley it is good (and I would make a batch of cider and a batch of beer and blend them.. if you like this to be more beery increase the ratio of beer to cider and if you prefer this to be more ciidery - increase the ratio of cider to beer. If you cannot decide 50:50 is good too.

Using rye would be interesting. I've made that recipe once before and the crystal malt gave it a bit of sweetness you usually don't get from homebrew cider which I liked. Stay light on the hops though, I've heard you can really ruin drinks like this with too much hops.

Back