Apple wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakonis

Reaction score
I have an American wheat extract kit for 5 gallons. I'm thinking of trying an apple wheat beer. If anyone has some guidance for a novice I would gladly take it. I have only 7 gallons of beer under my belt so far. I've researched some but only get vague details or recipes for all grain. I don't have all the equipment I need for an all grain brew yet, so I need to keep it simple. I want a strong but good apple taste, so what apples would be best?

I'm not sure what you're going for, but have you considered making Brandon O's Graff?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

You should be able to easily substitute the amber and light DME the recipe calls for with an equivalent amount of wheat extract.

Otherwise, I've heard of people racking beer over fruit in a secondary fermenter, but I've never done this myself and know very little about it.

I bottled 4 of 5 gallons of a belgian wit (leaving 1 gallon in the carboy).

Boiled up 2lbs DME with 1 gallon water and .5 OZ of Styrian Golding pellets (added to belgian wit in carboy...at 70 degrees)

The hurled 3 gallons apple juice (no preservatives or vitamin C added) on top of that.

It went ballistic for a few days....waited for stable FG (ended up about 7.2% ABV)....bottled it all up 2 weeks ago.

currently it is weird tasting...not 'yak vomit' horrible...but weird. Hoping a few more weeks will make it 'less weird'

Please take this all with a grain of salt - I am a super noob with very little experience.

Did an apple tripel back in nov. I just substituted the amount of water need to make 5 gal with apple juice. It didn't turn out to bad

I want a good apple beer. I don't have the resources needed for substituting ingredients. I'm not advanced enough for all grain brewing, experience nor equipment. I'm trying to keep it simple and yet tasty.

Also, this is an extract kit. It has 6lbs wheat malt syrup, 1oz williamette, and 1oz cascade and safale us-05 ale yeast.

Also, this is an extract kit. It has 6lbs wheat malt syrup, 1oz williamette, and 1oz cascade and safale us-05 ale yeast.

You can do something *like* Brandon O's Graff with the ingredients you have.

Assuming you usually make a 5 gallon batch, you can split the ingredients in half, and brew a beer with half the hops and extract you usually would. Then, when it comes time to top off, use 2.5 gallons of pasteurized apple juice (without preservatives) along with however much additional plain water you need to get to your 5 gallon target.

I have no idea how this would taste, having never made anything like it, but you should wind up with a similar abv as if you just brewed the beer, as I *think* apple juice as a specific gravity of around 1.050, not too far from where you'd be with 6 lbs. of wheat malt syrup in a 5 gallon batch.

This would require your whole yeast packet, though, and you'd still have extract syrup left over. If it turns out you like it though, all you'd have to buy to brew it again would be more apple juice and yeast.

Others may have additional suggestions.

My neighbor made a good apple lager. Used local apple cider. Solid apple taste. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out

Back