Apple-Mead Idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
Okay, so in a search for something fun to try, I came up with an idea that may not make much sense at first glance, but I the more I think of it, the more I want to try it.

So I found some Sprouts Organic Unprocessed Apple Juice which, after doing a bit of searching through the forums, I found someone else had used it with fair product made from it. The gravity, they say, starts at 1.050. I haven't opened mine yet to confirm.

My idea is to make an applemead by taking the juice, dumping 16oz to 32 oz from it and adding 16 to 32 ounces of local honey. This should significantly raise the gravity, I suspect, and make what I am hoping to be a crazy apple-mead, or a cider with mead-like qualities.

My thoughts, since I suspect the gravity to shoot through the roof, is to use a yeast with a high tolerance for ABV to hep offset the gravity a bit and make for a strong drink. Moreover, I suspect that even using a tolerant yeast, it will retain quite a bit of the sweetness, creating a brew that is both strong and sweet. Though, information I've read says 1lb to 1gal honey to water only adds about 0.03 to the gravity, leaving only an estimated 1.08 to 1.12 gravity. Perhaos adding some apple juice concentrate AND honey would do the trick?

The concern might be that I haven't much cider experience, and the batches I have made in the past tend to be boozy, and not very sweet at all. Perhaps an additive like citric acid might help. Though I'm thinking the honey might be just the thing for that.

Thoughts? :mug:

You may find more results if you search for "cyser", which is a mead/apple juice combo. That may help give you some ideas on what others have done.

If you don't want it boozy, keep the OG low as it's a high alcohol mead that gets boozy and takes longer to age. Then you can stabilize and sweeten if you want. Otherwise, you may have sweet hot rocket fuel in the end!

I guess I should have google'd! The idea I had has already been done! Ha!

Oh well. Coo, thank you for the info! I'm already looking at recipes.

I make a similar recipe using honey and brown sugar. Similarly, I got the idea after making a very dry cider with champagne yeast. I wondered how much sugar would have to be added to leave some residual sweetness. If you make an extra strong batch and give it enough time to rest this results in a very good cyser that is very like a port. Definitely a sipping liquor as it has a thick sweet mouth feel, delicious taste. If you let it rest the alcohol bite goes away and you would never guess it is 16-18% abv until you get your ass kicked by it.

Here is the recipe I used recently.
12 gallons Sprouts organic unfiltered AJ.
10 pounds honey
10 pounds dark brown sugar
1 vial White Labs champagne yeast WLP715
Yeast nutrients and pectic enzyme

I've also made as a 5 gallon batch with~4.5 gallons AJ, and 4 pounds each of honey and brown sugar in a 5 gallon carboy. The real key is to let it rest. You can drink right away but it gets better with time. My batch of this recipe from 3 years ago is better than the one from last year. Also, warm but don't boil some of the juice and mix the honey and sugar to make a light syrup. It will mix with the rest of the batch better than just dumping it in.

The taste is really quite good and it serves well chilled and sipped. The first time I made this recipe we drank a couple rounds like regular cider and didn't realize how strong it really was as the alcohol taste wasn't that prevalent. We named that batch "Dude where's my pants" later we renamed it to "Lindsay Lohan" because it was a beautiful brunette that smelled like honey and was full of alcohol and regrets.

Make this batch! Better still just get a 5 gallon carboy and stop fiddling with gallon batches. Then you'll have enough to let some rest.

Back