Apple Juice and Honey... how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chasawah

Reaction score
So I decided I want to use apple juice instead of water. I looked at several search results for the topic and nothing was direct enough for my brain.

Specific question. Do I use a juice wine calculator, and replace sugar with honey 1 to 1?

I know juice has its own sugar content, and you need to use less additional sugar to get your ABV goal, how does that translate to honey?

Looking to make ~6 gallons, I would typically use 18lbs honey and fill to 6gallon mark with water. I would assume Im going to need far less honey.

Im going to put 4 gallons juice and add honey until its 1.13 sg, then upscale to keep it around that sg for 6 gallons I might keep track and post my numbers

5 gallon apple juice, honey up to 6 gallon mark.... sg 1.120~
10g lalvin k1-v1116
(an amount) ferm O didnt measure just dusted while stirring... a wine cork size amount 10g?

Makes sense, apple juice is typically 1.050 and 2 pounds of honey for each gallon gives you anothee 0.70. Your spot on. 1116 yeast should do fine with that.

10 gr Fermaid-O At yeast pitch
Consider adding another 5 gr at 24, 48 and 72 hours. Stir or swirl it good before adding and add it to a little must to disolve as much as you can then slowly add it. Otherwise you risk a lot of foam and mead fountains are no fun.

Back