APA Hop schedule question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlavas

Reaction score
I have the following hops I want to use with an American Pale Ale Partial mash recipe, how would you use:

1 oz of Magnum
1 oz of Simcoe
2 oz of Amarillo
Thanks

Bitter with magnum. Stagger simcoe and amarillo for additions at 10, 5 and 2. Something like:

60 - magnum
10 - simcoe
5 - simcoe + amarillo
2 - amarillo

Target something like 35-40 IBUs (with about 25 coming from the magnum) and consider using any remaining simcoe/amarillo as a blend for dry hops if desired. You'll like it :mug:

Just the way i would do it:
FWH magnum .5 oz
20 magnum .5 oz
15 Simco .75 oz
10 simco .25 oz
10 amarillo .5 oz
5 amarillo .5 oz
F.o./ dry hop with last oz

How I might do it.

FWH magnum .5 oz
30 magnum .5 oz

mix 1 oz simco and 1 oz Amarillo
divide into (4) .5 oz additions at 15,10,5,0

dry hop with 1 oz amarillo

The reason I ask is because it's a classic styles recipe and it calls for

.66 Horizon ( I replaced with Magnum) 60 mins
.50 Cascade ( I replaced with Simcoe) 10 mins
.50 Centennial( I replaced with Amarillo) 10 mins
.50 Cascade ( I replaced with Simcoe) 0 mins
.50 Centennial ( I replaced with Amarillo) 0 mins

When I plug this in to iBrewmater2 I get about 26 IBU's which doesn't seem correct...In the book the original hops state 40 IBU's with Horizon, Cascade and Centennial...Can my new hop additions make this much difference or is iBrewmaster not estimating correctly?

When I plug this in to iBrewmater2 I get about 26 IBU's which doesn't seem correct...In the book the original hops state 40 IBU's with Horizon, Cascade and Centennial...Can my new hop additions make this much difference or is iBrewmaster not estimating correctly?

I don't know what the OG of your beer is but if in typical APA range that IBU estimate seems pretty low. Must be settings. Do you have it set for a very concentrated boil? If doing partial boil, will the software let you account for late addition of extract? Are the AA's of the hops correct?

I have the following hops I want to use with an American Pale Ale Partial mash recipe, how would you use:

1 oz of Magnum
1 oz of Simcoe
2 oz of Amarillo
Thanks

For the most hop character, I'd add your Simcoe/Amarillo late:

1 oz Magnum to desired bitterness (vary boil time)

1 oz Amarillo - Hopstand (flameout, add ~160F, steep for 30 mins)

1 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeah I think that estimate is wrong. Seems like it would have some nice bitterness. That BCS recipe is great.

Latest posts

Back