Anyone used Peaches in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BankerJohn

Reaction score
I have a peach tree that is ripe. Thinking of possibly fruiting a beer. Has anyone made a beer and added fruit to the fermenter?

I have a batch in primary that has been there 2 weeks. I'm thinking of adding peaches in a mesh bag to the brew. Should I rack off the yeast then add fruit or leave on the yeast and add the fruit to kick of a second ferment?

Advice and guidance here would be appreciated!

I don't know that I'd worry about racking it to secondary...just throw the peaches in there, they will definitely kick off another ferment so be ready for that...I'd probably also soak the peaches in a minimal amount of vodka for a bit just to sanitize them

I used 4 pounds of peaches in the secondary of an IPA before dry hopping and it was good. I would use WLP007, chinook and simcoe and it would be really good i think.

I make a peach wheat and I use peach puree. The peaches are boiled down, and strained to remove the pits and skins. Then I boil the puree down to concentrate the flavor. I add about a pound per gallon of peach puree to the secondary. Great beer, womens love it. Wife drank most of the keg last time.

I made a peach wheat with 6# of frozen peaches from the dollar store last year. I added them to the secondary. The beer turned out great and I will be doing it again soon.

sometimes, you just have to "go for it". I dipped my hop bag (5 gallon paint strainer bag) in Starsan for a few minutes along with the whole peaches. I'm using a 7 gallon bucket for the primary. Stretched the paint strainer bag over the opening of the beer then proceeded to cut about 4 pounds of fresh peaches into the bag in the beer. Tied up the hop bag and put the lid back on the primary & replaced airlock. Within 10 minutes, the airlock began bubbling again.

I don't know what it will end up tasting like, but I'm hoping it is good!

@ seyahmit: I like the idea of adding frozen peaches to a brew. That sound A LOT easier than my picking fruit from the tree, washing the fruit, dipping in Starsan then cutting it up into the brew. If this turns out well, I will use your method next time and dump the frozen/partially thawed into a sanitized hop bag.

Back