Anyone use RTIC or YETI bottles for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grbrla12

Reaction score
I have an RTIC 64 ounces bottle that is food grade stainless steel, double wall insulated, and has a heavy duty screw on top with a gasket. Has anyone tried to bottle with one of these? My questions if so would be how much headspace and did the top hold up to the pressure? Both companies customer service was at a loss to whether or not they would hold pressure. I would hate to lose half a gallon on a trial, and potentially the container.

As of yesterday I bottled 64 ounces in my RTIC. Standard ounce of corn sugar to gallon of beer. I ended up leaving about an inch of headspace. Time will tell if it holds... meanwhile it is incased in a cooler, should something go wrong.

I use my 32 rtic as a growler all the time.

Ya i know they are good for carrying it around. My question is in regards to bottle priming/carbonating. A decent bit of pressure builds up inside during that time... I would assume more so than just carrying a carbonated drink. Maybe not idk

So far it has not blown the top! I will keep yall posted

Ya i know they are good for carrying it around. My question is in regards to bottle priming/carbonating. A decent bit of pressure builds up inside during that time... I would assume more so than just carrying a carbonated drink. Maybe not idk

So far it has not blown the top! I will keep yall posted

I'm not sure I could let mine sit that long.

I'm curious as to how this turned out...did it blow? Or did it hold the pressure and carbonate the beer satisfactorily?

yeah I imagine you'd have a bomb by now if you were ever going to have one.

Just checked it and it looks fine. This Saturday is two weeks. I figure since it is a larger volume I will give it a month total before opening it.

I guess my question is... why?

Why not? The cannister only cost $20 and I was low on empty bottles. It has the same appeal as people kegging to growlers and taking them to parties. I will just carb in my growler :)

well in a pinch I guess it COULD be used. I mean 6 1 liter flip tops are like 18 bucks I think. I often use those to take to partys (from my keezer) or if its bigger I have a small 2.5 gallon kegging system (a lot more than 20 bucks for that though). I just don't see many benefits of it. How long does it take to cool in the fridge if its double wall insulated? Im one of the suckers who bought into growlerworks and has been waiting for his co2 pressurized growler for three years. If this was something like that then Id be all for it. Pouring and recapping is gonna stir the sediment up. Not a problem in a wheat beer but in other styles I wouldn't really like that. if it works for you though then party on Garth

Ya I figured why not? Had it already and was in a pitch for more container space. The nearest LHBS is 1.5 hours from here. Also the beers I had bought and tried to cap failed. I know know what to look for on beers I buy

It did not blow its top! At 4 weeks I chilled it for 2 days in the fridge. Took it to the beach and shared with friends on a hot day. Delicious! The top did take a bit of muscle to open. Might leave it in the fridge one more day next time. It was chilled but not cold. Worked great taking it to the beach since it stayed cold and it did not have to remain in the cooler.

Back