Anyone going to the 2018 Homebrew Con in Portland Oregon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Tap

To drink beer is human..
Reaction score
Well I bought my ticket for the 2018 Home Brew Con in Portland Oregon which is in late June and am excited about more Homebrew learning and meting homebrewers!

Anyone else planning on attending the event this year?

Any recommendations on what to do/ see from past attendees?

1st I've heard of it, but thanks for the heads up. We usually hit up Oregon Brewfest at the end of July, but might just talk the husband into going to this instead.

I've been thinking about going, I'm in Corvallis about 90 minutes south of Portland.

Portland around this time of year is beautiful. Obviously tons of great breweries and restaurants but try to take the time to get out and see some of the scenery. The Columbia River Gorge is amazing and only about 30 minutes east of downtown. Go another 30 minutes and you will be getting into the Cascade mountain range. Tons of great hikes and amazing Alpine like nature in this area. Lots of fun touristy ocean towns about 90 minutes west. Cannon Beach / Seaside are both really fun to explore and the beaches are nice but the water is cold year round. There's good whale watching and deep sea fishing around this area too. Always fun to catch some fresh crabs!

Eugene and Corvallis are south and have U of O and OSU. Some good breweries down there and the universities are beautiful and fun to explore.

Even further south is Crater Lake, plan on spending a full day here if you visit. Outside of the gorge it may be the most breath taking place to see in Oregon.

There's also white water rafting all over the state, the best rafting is around the Medford area.

Seattle is close if you go North, lots of fun stuff up there for sure. Also Mt St Helens too which is really beautiful.

I've been thinking about going, I'm in Corvallis about 90 minutes south of Portland.

Portland around this time of year is beautiful. Obviously tons of great breweries and restaurants but try to take the time to get out and see some of the scenery. The Columbia River Gorge is amazing and only about 30 minutes east of downtown. Go another 30 minutes and you will be getting into the Cascade mountain range. Tons of great hikes and amazing Alpine like nature in this area. Lots of fun touristy ocean towns about 90 minutes west. Cannon Beach / Seaside are both really fun to explore and the beaches are nice but the water is cold year round. There's good whale watching and deep sea fishing around this area too. Always fun to catch some fresh crabs!

Eugene and Corvallis are south and have U of O and OSU. Some good breweries down there and the universities are beautiful and fun to explore.

Even further south is Crater Lake, plan on spending a full day here if you visit. Outside of the gorge it may be the most breath taking place to see in Oregon.

There's also white water rafting all over the state, the best rafting is around the Medford area.

Seattle is close if you go North, lots of fun stuff up there for sure. Also Mt St Helens too which is really beautiful.

Thanks for the info Aprichman!

There are at least several threads on the NW regional board about stuff to check out when visiting Portland. Biggest change since most were posted is Commons has closed and Modern Times has opened in the space. I hope you have a good visit, there's a great beer culture and scene here in Portland.

I'll be there! Let's get together for a beer or three.

I'm coming on on that Tuesday, and staying until the following Tuesday morning. I'm hoping to do a few things near Portland before the conference, and then go out to the coast following the conference for a few days.

I'm speaking, but the schedule isn't out yet so I don't know how that will affect my late nights (I hope I'm not scheduled at 9 AM!) but I don't usually miss much.

I go most years, since 2008. It's always a wonderful time and the seminars are high quality. Club night (on Friday night) is the highlight of the entire event. I will likely be pouring at the Austin Zealots booth for that, but I do tend to wander. Hope to meet you there!

I'll be there! Let's get together for a beer or three.

I'm coming on on that Tuesday, and staying until the following Tuesday morning. I'm hoping to do a few things near Portland before the conference, and then go out to the coast following the conference for a few days.

I'm speaking, but the schedule isn't out yet so I don't know how that will affect my late nights (I hope I'm not scheduled at 9 AM!) but I don't usually miss much.

I go most years, since 2008. It's always a wonderful time and the seminars are high quality. Club night (on Friday night) is the highlight of the entire event. I will likely be pouring at the Austin Zealots booth for that, but I do tend to wander. Hope to meet you there!

Sounds great Yooper.
What topic will you be presenting?

I fly in late Wed am.
Definitely up for beers.
Cheers [emoji482]

Sounds great Yooper.
What topic will you be presenting?

I fly in late Wed am.
Definitely up for beers.
Cheers [emoji482]

I'm doing a talk on alternative fermentations, like food (cheese, sauerkraut, etc), drinks (kombucha), vinegar, and how to avoid cross contamination of the brewery.

Oh, please try! It would be so much fun to hang out together and enjoy homebrews.

Once I looked at the price I had to say oh sh*t....that's out of our budget for this summer unless I hit it big in the lottery. Even for one day it's crazy. But..we spend almost that much at Brewfest and I would absolutely love to hear you present. Not to mention sampling some homebrews! I'll let you know.

I'm concidering it now that I live on the west coast and Portland is a nights drive or maybe a cheap flight away.

My wife has wanted to go to Oregon since moving out here so its a win win for both of us, as long as we can swing the cash.

We'll be there. Both Yoop's and Martin's presentations are on my wanna go list. We didn't make last year's Twin Cities con, much closer to us, for family reasons. But we have an old friend in the Portland area and a nephew in Eugene. Gonna make it a nice 2+ weeks. Is there a secret HBT sign to give?

A whopping 3 or 4 from McAllen TX will be there to cheer on a mead from one of our customers that made it! Look for RGV Brew...it's us. Some will be in Saturday before to explore (one day to the Gorge and one day to the beach for sure) and others arrive on Wed.
How many brewing books are in Powell's:confused::cool:

I'll be heading over there. Will be driving down Thursday morning and out Saturday night to save on lodging. Luckily it is just a three hour drive for me. I'll definitely be attending those two talks for sure. I won't be attending any of the parties, but hope to see folks at the othet events.

I'll be heading over there. Will be driving down Thursday morning and out Saturday night to save on lodging. Luckily it is just a three hour drive for me. I'll definitely be attending those two talks for sure. I won't be attending any of the parties, but hope to see folks at the othet events.
Another Washingtonian! Yay!
It would be nice to meet some other homebrewers from this great forum. I’ve been brewing since 2000 and have not really socialized with other brewers so I’m really looking forward to this.

Would love to be there, but I should've taken my chance last year when it was in Minneapolis (since I'm in Iowa). Hoping for somewhere a bit closer next year, but either way, I'm going to try to make it out if I am able to swing it!

Until then, I'll just be brewing, brewing, and brewing some more...

I'm going to play it fast and loose. I usually aim for stuff that doesn't distribute to my home state. Growler availability is a prerequisite though to make the short list.

Not much from there gets to the Tip o Texas so I'm still wide open.:D
As for sours....I spent 15 years keeping my homebrew from turning sour.:(...just can't seem to acquire the taste, though Cascade has many recommendations.
Thanks for the Loyal Legion tip!

I am getting the impression that Breakside is a must. And Hair of the Dog for my coveted Barleywine, which is non existent in the RGV pretty much.

Sooo as HBC Virgins, Shall We Assume that we can collide with enough HBT folks at Yoops presentation to maybe make some plans for meetin' up once or twice at some of the zillions of places in this town?

Could I get in for free if I speak there? I could speak on drinking techniques - the pinky-up, red Solo cup alternatives, shotgunning, proper stein grip, etc.

Definitely can, but your presentation content might have to be bumped up a bit. AHA is always looking for interesting subjects and presentations. Give it a shot next year.

We have to do that! I can't wait.

I do need more growlers... 20180526_131027.jpg

We'll be flying in early, sightseeing, and flying back right after. Prolly not going to get any growlers to bring home, so we'll have to drink it all there! We even picked up t shirts from several Iowa breweries to wear! And one from Wisconsin....:cask:

Back