Anyone else coming to life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tumbleweeds are growing as fast as my hops, but we may get our first rain in 6 months so I may be able to pull those weeds from my hop garden tomorrow. They're the only vegetation known to man to grow faster than hops without being watered. My cascades are all sprouting cones at this point, none of the others have burrs yet.

IMG_0581.jpg

first year hallertauer from tennessee!

My 2 year old cascade and 1 year old centennial are almost a foot tall now.. they took off like crazy the past week. even with some frost two days this past week they seem to have shrugged it off.

My 3 year old Magnums are going wild! I clipped them back to 3-4 good bines but that hasn't stopped them from throwing up more shoots.
https://ibb.co/nLxkUS
nLxkUS

The 3 year old Centennials just haven't done as well. Just moved them last fall to this location where it is has more shade off and on throughout the day. Close to the Magnums.
https://ibb.co/d1S29S

Well crap! this old man can't figure out how to embed a picture...so I put links in.
Don't you just click on the picture and put the url in the provided line? That's what I did and as you can see the pictures don't show....?
d1S29S

Last edited:
They are starting to wake up here. Few of them have actual leaves deployed though.

Attachments

• 20180502_164013.jpg
    20180502_164013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 20180501_170512.jpg
    20180501_170512.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
hops%202018_zpstlyt3hrs.jpg

Hi guys. Great starts everybody. Mine are also just a foot or so high, but on their way !!

My rhizome (unknown variety, Perle or Sterling we think) finally woke up! Grown about 2 inches so far, we're supposed to get some good weather this week so it should take off. The Mt Hood is almost 4 feet tall and growing fast....this is fun!!
20180504_152306[1].jpg
20180504_152256[1].jpg

Yep. Finally. Trimmed up the Magnum and Serebrianka today. Columbia may be showing some life. Still waiting on Vojvodina. Everything is slow this year. Trying not to get impatient.

Cascade and centennial growing nicely... 2year old rhizomes..

They broke through the mulch a couple of weeks ago, but we then had frost several nights so they slowed down a bit. Last few days they have tripled in height.

The willamete rhizomes were just planted last week and are already starting to poke through the ground...

My one pot looked like a shrub it was so full of bines some 3’ long so I trimmed all those back as I usually do to get rid of the bull shoots then I’ll let em grow back and choose 3 to train. My other pot has been a lot slower although I think my dog digging into the pot last year really hurt the plant, it never really recovered while the other pot thrived. So I dug up a rhizome from the healthy plant and transplanted it into the other pot in hopes I can get some growth otherwise the one plant put out a nice return last year on its own.

I just tossed some mix of sand and "topper" (manure/compost) on mine yesterday. Figured with some rain coming in next week, its a good time to do it. Have EKG, Sterling and Willamette. The sterling is already budding up. Hopefully no more freeze for the year.

5-6" of snow in the yard right now, lows in the single digits all this week. But I'll probably be getting some growth in about a month. Last summer was so wet and humid, I didn't even pick any hops. Been thinking of getting some more rhizomes to set out this spring.
Looking at Nugget for its disease resistance. Also considering Comet....Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Things like my Ernest seedlings in pots have put up an inch of shoots following the "heatwave" last week, but no sign of anything in the ground yet.

Here at 21 degrees N, they really don't go very dormant, and most of the 100 in the test plot are greening up. Advice from the north says cut them all back until april/ may, which makes sense in order to save the energy for the longer daylight hours. Question is what are the typical spring feeding regiments out there?

Back in November I moved to a new house in the mountains near Silver City NM. I dug up most of my crowns and put them in ice chests and garbage cans full of dirt. Now that spring has suddenly arrived I'm unpacking them and finding places to grow them on the little flat ground we have on this granite ridge. So far I've got centennials planted along a fence to provide privacy, a mixed row of Magnum and Cascade(got rushed and threw the magnums in a garbage can of Cascade by mistake-I call it my IPA hops), and now I'm eyeing a spot that may be big enough for my Cascades. Amazingly every piece of rhyzome I've planted so far survived my poorly planned uprooting and winter storage. Hopefully the deer, rabbits and javelina won't destroy the plants that are out in the open.

20190310_181129.jpg
53585068_405577236658902_3970223873856634880_n.jpg

here is the result of a cuttings from last year, a real almost adult plant
"voici le résultat d'une bouture de l'année dernière, une vraie plante presque adulte"
[ATTACH = full] 616763 [/ ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20190310_181136.jpg
    20190310_181136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Gonna be awhile here. My mailbox isn't just a door in the snow, but with 2 months of snow/rain/snow/rain, the ground is still an ice covered mess.

Ours were grown from rhizomes last year. What all will we have to do this spring as second year plants?

I moved to a new city back in November. I dug up as many of my crowns as I could with the idea of transplanting them in my new yard. Moving sucks, and moving after 30 years in one house meant we had more crap than we could deal with. So as I put each variety into it's own tub I managed to mix up one tub of Cascade with a couple of Magnum crowns. That's gonna be my IPA row until I figure out which is which. I went from 3000' elevation to 6200', clay soil to sandy(and very rocky) soil. But My Cascades are coming up, and my mixed row is coming up so I'm happy. I still haven't figured out a way to trellis them since we have about a foot of real dirt on top of granite but I'll figure it out.

Of Last yrs rhizomes only one cascade is alive. Something ate them good. So this time I ordered 3 cascade plants plus some sorachi ace and fuggle plants. And I’ll be getting some chicken wire to protect them.

My second year cascades have tons of shoots reaching through right now. Will have to stay on top of them better than last year, will probably trim each to 1-2 main shoots and then wrestle them until harvest.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to tend to my plants last summer due to having a couple surgeries. My 2 Cascade and 1 multihead died off, but my Willow Creek survived.

It's on it's 3rd year and finally producing lots of shoots early on. Last year it was only sending out 1 or 2 at a time. Hopefully I get some good hop cones off of it this year.

Willow_Creek_third_year.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0696.JPG

Two weeks and my Cascade hops went from 0’ to 20’! The CTZ towards the front I planted this year is looking good. I have centennial hops there but they were not happy being next to the Cascade and never really produced any hops.

My one cascade from last yr is about a foot long!
I just planted 3 more cascades and 2 each of fuggle and sorachi ace at my mom's who has field to spare.
I got them in last week from GLH's.
some of those are about 6 inches long. they are caged also.
Now I gotta get some trellises up.

the 4 I got at my house are doing good.
I just finished my trellis system today and caged them also.

Damn woodchucks.

I may actually get hops this yr!

Life got too much in the way last summer, what with starting a second job and medical issues with the family. I've got a Mt Hood and a Perle, both in a big pot, that a few weeks ago started coming up on their own after I had pretty much left them for dead. Cleaned out the weeds, and today moved them to their semi-permanent home in the backyard that was recently re-fenced. We have a huge fir tree in the backyard, so I climbed up on the ladder and nailed long screws into three sides, attached heavy twine, and trained the bines up it. A couple of them broke (not completely through) while moving, but they are rallying and it looks like they grew a couple more inches today. We're having a mini-summer this week with temps hovering around 75-80 so they're getting plenty of sun. Hope to get cones this year.

My sterling is about a foot tall and starting to wrap around the twine. The Willamette and EKG are only a few inches tall, kinda bunchy and leafy without starting to go up much yet.

I saw a few holes on the Willamette leaves, so I put a few lady bugs on each plant. A week later they are still hanging around, so they must have found something to much on.

mine are anti rope for some reason.
Think I need to use some twine or a zip tie to hold them in place on the rope I'm using.
i'll keep it loose and snip it once they get up there.

at home, very mild climate. the largest should have been 4/5 meters high, 'cause I cut the bull shoots, there they measure about 3 meters.
"chez moi, climat très doux. les plus grands auraient dû mesurer 4/5 mètres de haut, car j'ai coupé les bull shoot, là il mesurent environ 3 mètres".
FB_IMG_1557865966783.jpg

Latest posts

Back