Anybody make the Oberon kit from Bell's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one but I cant remember where I got it... It wasn't directly from Bell's i know that. I brewed it as an extract, but it tured out real well. I'll check the hop schedule I used when I get home.

I have not brewed that kit, but put together a recipe that came out pretty darned close. The recipe has only minor differences from the Bell's Store. Note that instead of the yeast listed, I harvested and cultured from two bottles of Oberon.

Code:
Recipe: Oberon

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.67 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.33 gal 
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU       
88.00 oz              Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        47.8 %     
88.00 oz              Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)    Grain         2        47.8 %     
8.00 oz               Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        4.3 %       
1.50 oz               60 min - Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.00 %] Hop           4        11.0 IBUs   
1.50 oz               25 min - Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.00 %] Hop           5        7.6 IBUs   
1.00 oz               Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min            Hop           6        3.7 IBUs   
1.00 oz               Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min             Hop           7        2.0 IBUs   
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         8        -           
1.00 oz               Saaz [2.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days         Hop           9        0.0 IBUs   

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 184.00 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time   
Saccharification  Add 30.43 qt of water at 164.3 F        154.5 F       60 min

EDIT: Added boil times for two hops additions that had got cut off by BeerSmith.

Last edited:
I have not brewed that kit, but put together a recipe that came out pretty darned close. The recipe has only minor differences from the Bell's Store. Note that instead of the yeast listed, I harvested and cultured from two bottles of Oberon.

Very similar to the Bell's recipe, looking forward to how this turns out

I made the all grain kit that came directly from Bell's earlier this spring. I used Bell's yeast that I cultured up from bottles of Amber.
The main problem was the ibu's. Recent crops of German hops have been about 1/2 their normal ibu range, but Bell's didn't account for this in the kit. Oberon should be about 26 ibu(if I remember right), but the hops Bell's sent left it about half that.
Run the recipe through brewing software and be prepared to buy more hops if you want a more accurate clone.

I'm going to make a clone of this recipe on the weekend, hopefully will turn out well. I usually grab a pack of Oberon when I head to Grand Rapids, a few times a year. This will go into my keezer, to be on tap along with my 'rusty red ale' and apple cider.

Attachments

• image (68).png
    image (68).png
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
This turned out quite well, a nice easy drinker for hot summer days. Not a lot of hop flavour, I haven't used those varieties before, so I don't know if that's to be expected or not.
IMG_20200710_165507.jpg

I have the Bells recipe and a fresh pack of Imperial A62, the Bells house yeast ready to go on Saturday. Going to run this one on the warm end of the recommended temp range (72F) for maximizing yeast eaters and then spund in a keg when it’s nearing FG for some natural carbonation and see if I can be drinking in two weeks or less.

According to BeerSmith and the alphas listed in my hops I’ll hit the IBU target, but I got them from the cooler myself and have the grains in hand and didn’t buy a prepackaged kit.

Back