Anybody adjust PH of Wort after Boil before Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone adjust the PH of their wort before pitching yeast.

I partial brew, where I use a couple lbs of grain and then DME to supercharge the gravity.

I was wondering if I can just add hydrochloric acid to lower the PH if I care to or use Bicarb to increase alkalinity?

My water is R.O with re mineralizer, never had it tested to get the amounts of what is re mineralized, just measured with my ph meter and the H20 is 7.8 + or - .1 The city serves it up (when tested) at 7.4. So I am abit Alkaline and prompted me to this question.

Yes I adjust the post-boil gravity down to 5.1 / 5.2, depending on whether it needs it or not based on an accurate pH measurement.

I adjust during the boil, as is standard professional practice. pH of 5.4-5.6 is optimal for DMS formation and elimination, protein coagulation, and hop utilization. But kettle coagulants like Whirlfloc or other Irish moss derived products only work effectively between 5.0 and 5.2, and this is also the ideal chilled wort pH for yeast to effectively and rapidly reduce pH to the desired beer pH of ~4.2 for good attenuation, clarification and stability. So the required acid dosage for adjustment should be calculated and added before any kettle finings, but at least 30 minutes into the boil.

If you're using RO water the intrinsic pH is virtually meaningless as there's so little ionic content the pH is readily shifted by pretty much anything put in it. Definitely don't "adjust" wort pH based on RO water pH...

Cheers!

If you're using RO water the intrinsic pH is virtually meaningless as there's so little ionic content the pH is readily shifted by pretty much anything put in it. Definitely don't "adjust" wort pH based on RO water pH...

Cheers!
re minerialized, R.O unit.

I adjust during the boil, as is standard professional practice. pH of 5.4-5.6 is optimal for DMS formation and elimination, protein coagulation, and hop utilization. But kettle coagulants like Whirlfloc or other Irish moss derived products only work effectively between 5.0 and 5.2, and this is also the ideal chilled wort pH for yeast to effectively and rapidly reduce pH to the desired beer pH of ~4.2 for good attenuation, clarification and stability. So the required acid dosage for adjustment should be calculated and added before any kettle finings, but at least 30 minutes into the boil.
I am sure I may get there someday.... with building my water, taking into consideration the Malted grain, whether or not it will attenuate the PH value or not, etc. I make a good tasting beer, consistently but wanted a bit more crispness to my IPA. So I thought to reduce if need be using acid, hence the question as answered by Iseneye.

Latest posts

Back